Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible?

Quote Reply
Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible?
hi there. If there a plug in or indeed a hack that would allow me to go into browser, choose the category/sub category I want and then look at all my links and then have some tick boxes next to the links so I can do a "tick box" to remove all the links that have a tick next to them.

I guess like others, it seems as though you can either remove each link one by one which is time consuming or you can remove a whole category or sub category which is not what I want to do.

For example, say there are 50 links in my category/sub category and I want to remove 10 of them, at the moment I am having to click on remove for each of them which really does take up too much time. It would be great if there were some tick boxes next to the links as well so you can tick what you don't want and then it does it in one batch, rather than having to click remove for each and everyone.
thanks

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible? In reply to
Hi,

Have you tried admin->database->Links->delete? This give you a checkbox list of links to delete - and you can select by category, or any other search term.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible? In reply to
I had a look at that, but it doesn't do what I need which is to do it from the browser section.

if I do it this way, all i then get is a page starting with ID and the rest is also full of blanks and don't know where to start, the easiestr way should be through the browser shouldn't it?

What do other people do if they want to look at a whole category or sub-category and decided that out of say 50 links, they want to get rid of 10, which method is used to deal with this?

thanks

leslie

#
In Reply To:
Hi,

Have you tried admin->database->Links->delete? This give you a checkbox list of links to delete - and you can select by category, or any other search term.

Laura.
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible? In reply to
Personally I find the database section much easier and more powerful than the browser but I think it depends what you get used to.

If you go into the database section and select Links and Delete, press go and then you are presented with a search form. If you look right at the bottom of the form you should have a box for categories - either a blank text box which you can type the category into or a drop down select box where you can just select the category. Then click on the 'Search Links' button and you should be presented with the full list of links in that category with check boxes next to them (on the left). You can then select all the ones you want to delete (or click on 'Check All' at the bottom of the page) and delete them.

I don't think you can do this easily in the browser - but I may be wrong!

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Removing more than one link at a time via the category browser. Is it possible? In reply to
thanks. when I do that, at the bottom I have all blanks. I have the Categories
One per line box appear.
and this is blank, you mention: "or a drop down select box where you can just select the category"

I don't seem to have this, is this something to do with the configuarion to get that to appear???

If that is the case, then this would be really helpful.

In Reply To:
Personally I find the database section much easier and more powerful than the browser but I think it depends what you get used to.

If you go into the database section and select Links and Delete, press go and then you are presented with a search form. If you look right at the bottom of the form you should have a box for categories - either a blank text box which you can type the category into or a drop down select box where you can just select the category. Then click on the 'Search Links' button and you should be presented with the full list of links in that category with check boxes next to them (on the left). You can then select all the ones you want to delete (or click on 'Check All' at the bottom of the page) and delete them.

I don't think you can do this easily in the browser - but I may be wrong!

Laura.
Quote Reply
Yes, this is a setup option. Admin->Setup->Build Options. You need to set db_gen_category_list to Yes.
Quote Reply
Many, many thanks for that!

It should certainly make my life much easier when it comes yo updating.

best wishes

Leslie

In Reply To:
Yes, this is a setup option. Admin->Setup->Build Options. You need to set db_gen_category_list to Yes.
Quote Reply
Also noticed that when I select "yes" it take take a very long time for the validate links page to appear, I assume that is because if you have alot of categories and sub-categories, it is building those.

So the best thing to do I guess if to have it for "yes" when I wish to do some editing of of existing links (eg: removing) and then set it back to no when I need to validate links that have just been added.

Is that what other people do?

thanks!

leslie

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
There is another consequence of changing the db_gen_category_list - if it is set to yes, then your users can click on Add a Link anywhere on your site and select the category that they want to add their link to from a drop down list. If you set it to no then they must go to the right category first and then click on Add a Link and it will be added to the category that they are in.

Having a very long list of categories can slow things down a lot. If you set it to no then you just have to start remembering what your categories are called!
Quote Reply
thanks for that. I like the way when it is set to no that it is automatically done for the user, but can also see the benefit to having yes, especially when I want to then start editing a category list of links and delete out of date ones very quickly.

I guess, you can't have it both ways :)

Leslie