Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

anyone is having this problem?

Quote Reply
anyone is having this problem?
i can not send mass e-mail it always stops in the middle and i can not continue from where it stops, so i end up sending the same newsletter to the same people 4-5 times.
one person got upset and i think he send me a virus but i did not open it. is this something GT working on?
in links2 the nesletter came with a code to unsubscribe but links sql does not have it. could u please tell me what's the exact code to include unsubscribe from the newsletter?
alex: should i send u an e-mail regarding this?
thanks

Quote Reply
Re: anyone is having this problem? In reply to
How many subscribers do you have? If there are tons, then the problem is your SMTP/Sendmail configurations, which need to be be re-configured for a longer time-out period. That is most likely your problem, not with LINKS SQL per se.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i only have 1700
but it only send to 178
how can i fix this problem?

Quote Reply
Hi,

now that there are about 800 subscribers to my newsletter, I've got the same problem. It sends out about 600 mails and then just stops. I'm not quite sure if it is a timeout problem because when I was sending out the newsletter the last time it stopped, but on the second try it sent out the newsletter to all subscribers without problem...

To Alex:
In the Admin -> Email -> current mailings it says "continue mailing" when this happens. So Links SQL does know that the mailing was not complete. Would it be possible to just send the newsletter to subscribers that don't already have received it before the mailing stopped, i.e. really continue the mailing, not just start it all over again from the beginning and hope it might complete?
Or maybe something like "mail staggered"...?

Andreas
http://www.archaeologie-online.de
Quote Reply
hi,
i think the code should be
http://.../subscribe.cgi?email=<%email%>&action=unsubscribe

i think this should work.

cheers

Manu

http://www.shop-netz.com
Quote Reply
This is a Links SQL problem, and will be fixed in the next version. Due to a change some time ago, when "Continuing" a mailing, there is a bug in that it does not check which mailings have been sent and instead e-mails the entire list again.

The intended way for the program to work was that if the mailing stops for any reason, you can continue and it will only send mail to those who have not received it yet.

For a solution until the next version you will need to edit the "nph-email.cgi" file in the admin directory, and change line xxx of the file, which should look like this now:
Code:
my $sth = $DB->table('EmailMailings')->select({ Mailing => $ID },$get_cols);
to this:
Code:
my $sth = $DB->table('EmailMailings')->select({ Mailing => $ID, Sent => 0 },$get_cols);
That fix will fix the bug and give you the correct behaviour of the mass mailer.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
i tried this but i keep getting an error that i can not get connected to the server even though i can access other pages on the server and the only time i get it when i try to send mass e-mail

Quote Reply
Your problem could be (could be..I am not sure) related to your host and not to links sql (besides the fact that links sql may have it's own problems). For example I am using pair and they have a setting wich stops the mailing (any mailing using sendmail) at 100 addresses. Actually that's what they say but I have been able to send 200 mails or so. The program will kill the process somewhere between 100 / 300 mails range.

So a very useful feature would be to set up something like "mail stagered" where you could set the number of mails sent at a time...

Quote Reply
i'm on a dedicated server so this is not my problem

Quote Reply
I updated my nph-email.cgi as instructed but the system still seems to be sending only one email. I am trying to send a mass mail to all users. After waiting about 3 minutes the browsers stops trying to load the page and nothing else happens. Is there a timeout setting for this? I am on a dedicated server so it shouldn't be too hard to update sendmail (i think?!)

JeffB

Quote Reply
i upgraded to links sql2.05 and i'm only able to send e-mail to a few people and when i click on continue e-mailing it does not send any e-mail.
any solution to this

Quote Reply
Could you provide me access to your admin panel so that I can take a look at the problem for you?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] anyone is having this problem? In reply to
i did but i have not heard from you. did u find a solution