Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Urgent! How Do I Import DMOZ now?

Quote Reply
Urgent! How Do I Import DMOZ now?
Hi there...

I just upgraded into the newest version.. actually a brand new install... no data in the system at this point..

Was just going to do a DMOZ import and I can't find anything to do this? I presume the script that Alex provided before doesn't work with the new version? How can I do this? I'm in a panic as I have an empty site...

Also, is there anything coming soon to speed up DMOZ imports? I seen a script today that will filter out only what you are importing before you start the import itself... takes a max. of 10 minutes to build a RDF of only the topics that you want to import.... the last import i did took 4 days and 90% of that time was just flipping throught the content file until finding the actual categories.... that's crazy! :)

thanks again,

Paul

Quote Reply
Re: Urgent! How Do I Import DMOZ now? In reply to
I hate to be pushy.. doesn't anyone know how to do a DMOZ import on the new version????

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Hi,

To import from DMoz, you need to run nph-import.cgi from shell. If you type:

./nph-import.cgi

you'll get a usage statement with how to do the import.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response.. here's the command line that I am using:

./nph-import.cgi --import RDF --source=/home/dmoz/ --create-missing-categories
--rdf-category="Top/Regional/North_America/Canada" --rdf-add-date 2001-03-06

Is this correct? It's a brand new database....

When I try that I get the following error:

Content-type: text/html

<p><font face='Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica' size=2>A fatal error has occured:</font><
/p><blockquote><pre>GT::SQL (23372): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. U
sage: The defs directory '' does not exist, or is not a directory. at /home/dir/
public_html/cgi-bin/admin/Links/Import/RDFS2.pm line 69.
</pre></blockquote><p><font face='Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica' size=2>Please enable d
ebugging in setup for more details.</font></p>
GT::SQL (23372): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: The defs direc
tory '' does not exist, or is not a directory. at /home/dir/public_html/cgi-bin/
admin/Links/Import/RDFS2.pm line 69.

Quote Reply
What/where was the script you saw for cutting up the RDF file prior to parsing?

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
HI there...:)

I can't remember where exactly but I believe it was on the site for Hyperseek site. If I remember correctly it was a script that you purchase for a minimal fee.

Perhaps someone could write an open source version applicable to Links? Just a thought from a guy who doesn't have time to write software..<g>

Thanks,

Paul

Quote Reply
Hi,

Try:

./nph-import.cgi --import=RDF --source=/PATH/TO/CONTENT.RDF --destination=/PATH/TO/ADMIN/DEFS --rdf-category="Top/Regional/North_America/Canada" --rdf-add-date="2001-01-01"

and replace the parts in all caps with your system info. Note: do not use a new date, as you end up with thousands of new links, use a date that is old.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
You're luck @ 4 days, mine has been running since February 14th and isn't nearly done.