Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Upgrade to 2.04 terror

Quote Reply
Upgrade to 2.04 terror
Hi:

I was a bit worried to upgrade, and it turns out I was right.

I did the first try, and there was a permissions problem.... not all the files were written. However, the install ran to it's end, adding the fields to Links and Categories.

So I chmodded everything to 777 and reinstalled. It ended the install here:

Checking if we need to update any columns:
Adding Contact_Email column ...
As soon as that came up, I got "Done" in the lower left of my browser. So I went to admin to see if it worked, and I could not get into admin (just get a white page)

Some pages worked, some did not... all in all, no rhyhm or reason I could discern.

So, in a panic, I put back up 2.03. The site seems to be ok now, but still no admin, so I cannot even get in to check and see if any of the fields were added...

Any suggestions?

dave

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade to 2.04 terror In reply to
OK, I re-uploaded the Admin templetes, and got admin back online...

There are supposed to be 2 new fields in Links, right? I did NOT get them...

Also, things were/are acting kinda weird, so I restarted... and got this:

In Reply To:
Preloading Links SQL scripts into mod_perl:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Subroutine import redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 62.
Subroutine new redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 75.
Subroutine DESTROY redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 98.
Subroutine AUTOLOAD redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 109.
Subroutine set redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 174.
Subroutine common_param redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 195.
Subroutine reset redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 213.
Subroutine _get_attribs redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 238.
Subroutine new redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 913.
Subroutine DESTROY redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 938.
Subroutine as_string redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 947.
Subroutine load_data redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2095.
Subroutine reset_env redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2163.
Subroutine init redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2174.
Subroutine get_hash redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2210.
Subroutine delete redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2236.
Subroutine cookie redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2246.
Subroutine set redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2274.
Subroutine param redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2288.
Subroutine header redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2309.
Subroutine redirect redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2399.
Subroutine unescape redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2436.
Subroutine escape redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2447.
Subroutine html_escape redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2458.
Subroutine html_unescape redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2479.
Subroutine self_url redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2500.
Subroutine url redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2507.
Subroutine query_string redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2554.
Subroutine parse_str redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2570.
Subroutine cookie_header redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2607.
Variable "@WDAY" will not stay shared at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2642.
Variable "@MON" will not stay shared at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2642.
Subroutine _format_date redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2630.
Subroutine _expire_calc redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 2646.
Subroutine Dumper redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3161.
Subroutine dump redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3200.
Subroutine _dump_value redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3232.
Subroutine _dump_scalar redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3250.
Subroutine _dump_hash redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3261.
Subroutine _dump_array redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3291.
Subroutine _dump_obj redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3308.
Subroutine _escape redefined at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/install.cgi line 3328.
. . . file permissions deny server execution/usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/detailed1.cgi at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Apache/RegistryLoader.pm line 76.
Should I be worried?

dave

Quote Reply
Update!

I deleted the install.cgi, and that took care of the nasty messages in mod_perl startup.

The weirdness in the displays of links was Links.def and category.def were 0 bytes, so I uploaded backups.

OK, so now I tthink I am bak to a stable install of 2.03.

What should I do?

dave

Quote Reply
The continuing story...

OK, I got everything back to 2.03 fine, running good.

Made sure everything was writable (chmod -R 0777 from the base directory) and ran the install again. Again, it cratered as it tried to add the first field to Links (Adding Contact_Email column).

I used my old .def files again, but kept all the new files. Now the only real problem is this when it loads:

In Reply To:
Global symbol "$TPL" requires explicit package name at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/admin/browser.cgi line 51.
. . Global symbol "$TPL" requires explicit package name at /usr/home/c/cartoon/public_html/bcdb/admin/mailer.cgi line 191.
dave

Quote Reply
>>>The weirdness in the displays of links was Links.def and category.def were 0 bytes, so I uploaded backups.

Don't do that!!!

In the "admin->Setup->SQL Server" there is an option to

>> Load table info from an existing set of tables (or resync the def files if you have
>> changed your defs manually).

Use that... in fact, use that NOW!!! :)

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Plugins:http://LinkSQL.com/plugin
Quote Reply
You've got a hybrid install.

$TPL was removed from the 2.04 version as an object, since it wasn't really needed.

I don't know why your install is failing on adding new table fields. Are you using MySQL? What version?

I would do this.

Install 2.04 in a _CLEAN_ directory in your cgi-bin area. use your old database and other defaults, the only thing that would change is the <%db_cgi_url%>

If that runs, then your database has been updated ok. You can then copy everything in the Links, GT subdirectories to your old install. This will update any modules that were missed.

Make sure you have updated scripts in the admin area and the user scripts area. Those scripts require a 'lib' path, so if you copy them as well, you'd have to change the top of each of those files.

Without knowing your exact situation, I can't help any more.

I did that once to prevent taking a site down, then just aliased /old/path to /new/path and restarted the server without any apparant problems. Your situation will vary depending on how your server (hardware, software, os, etc) is set up, so only a 'guide' can be given.

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Pugdog:

You helped TREMENDOUSLY! Couldn't see the forest for the trees! I was so stressed about making it work online, I did not even think to do it in a seperate directory. And thanks for the ReSync pointer.... I was stupid there.

Anyway, got the site working, and then I was able to get it upgraded properly, I think. It works, I know that!

Thank you!

Dave

Quote Reply
You're welcome :)