Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Staggered Built

Quote Reply
Staggered Built
Alex, I haven't seen a snap-shot yet, but wondered if its possible to have an option in Links.pm for #Number of categories to build when using 'Build Staggered' ?

This would allow for greater flexibility for those of us who have limited 'time outs' on our accounts :-)

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Staggered Built In reply to
Hear! Hear! Although I believe that Links.pm will not be a part of the new release...it looks like with the modular design that this variable could be stored in one of the "custom" module files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Until some code is released, it's hard to say exactly how the new build procedure works.

(In short, I'm not wasting time trying to figure out something that will be clear shortly :))

But, the Links.pm file has yeilded to a configuration hash, with a setup program around it.

There is a build_staggered, but how that will work is uncertain.

In order to get around time-outs, the program would have to store process-start information in a table, then spawn processes, let them terminate, RESTART and spawn new processes....the reason is, the time-out works on the PARENT process, not the individual sub processes. Just having the parent around for 30 minutes even if it's doing nothing, will often incur the "kill daemon".

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Hi,

I have posted a build staggered modification for Links SQL V1.1x in the resources. I hope it will help all who have problems with the building-time / cpu usage.

please try it and mail me any problems you encounter.

regards alexander

http://www.silberling.com/lsql/staggerd.txt

Quote Reply
The next snapshot I'll put up on monday will have the build fully working:

Build Changed:
This builds the home, what's new, what's cool, top rated pages always. It then only re-build detailed pages that have changed. It also only rebuilds category pages that have changed.

Build All:
Just like the current version, rebuilds all html pages.

Build Staggered:
Runs in three phases:
1. Rebuilds new, cool, top rated and home page.
2. Staggers through detailed pages, building x links per request.
3. Staggers through category pages, building y categories per request.

Also, all the build code is in one place now, so nph-build.cgi and page.cgi are sharing the same routines. Memory usage is a lot tighter as we never store too much data from the server in memory at once (however it does slow it down a little).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sounds good Alex !

How maybe snapshot will there be till 'final' stable release ?
Don't tell us a exact date, but you must have a plan over there right ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Alex, excellent news on the build options - I think those options will pretty much suit everyone :)

All the best
Shaun