Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Sponsored listing like yahoo

Quote Reply
Sponsored listing like yahoo
Has anyone worked on the soponsored listing mod like yahoo does? The yellow square at top of each links listing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to

Quote Reply
Actually a "Yahoo" mod should be much easier than GoTo since you don't have to track clicks - Yahoo sells placement not clicks.
All you'll need is to add another column to your links table called "yahoo" (or any other name) and give each link the value 0 (default), 1 (3rd place), 2 (2nd place) , or 3 (1st place).
Then you build sorting by "Yahoo".
In the link template you can use <%if Yahoo>0%> to custom design the sponsored links.
Other than that you need a billing system to collect payments from the link owners, and drop Yahoo rating to 0 when account expires.

Quote Reply
Thanks a lot Mishpat. I finally found that after adding a new column, I had to Resync Database to make it work.
Anyway, I am still struggling with this mod. If I use the tag <%if Yahoo>0%>, then no sponsored link appear at all, but if I use <%if Yahoo>, then the "sponsored" links, will appear twice, just above their normal position with the sponsored link format I created, and at their normal position.
I would like to have all sponsored links at the top or beginning of the first page within each category.

Quote Reply
You might try using 'gt' and 'lt'

Also, links shouldn't appear twice, unless you are searching for them twice.

If you are, you'll have to some code alteration.

Otherwise, just sort on "Yahoo DESC" which will put the links with the highest Yahoo value first. You can use the <%if%> tags to format the custom link differently.

With static pages, you can do a bit more, since the creation overhead is smaller. If you are using dynamic pages, you'll have to think it out, so that you don't duplicate the effort. Spanning pages also tosses a bit of a logic monkey wrench into things, especially if you want the featured links on each page, or if you want the featured links on the first page, but still want 25 or whatever regular links.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Thanks Pugdog. You can see what I mean at: http://www.avispanet.com/cgi/page.cgi?g=1/2/index.shtml&d=1
I am using dynamic pages.

The link.html template is as follows:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"><%if Destacado%></font>
<table width="600" border="0" align="center">
<tr bgcolor="#FFCC33">
<td>
<table width="99%" border="0" align="center">
<tr bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"> <span class="descript">
</span><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>
<%if Description%> <span class="descript">- <%Description%></span>
<%endif%> <%if isNew%> <small><sup class="new">nuevo</sup></small>
<%endif%> <%if isChanged%> <small><sup class="new">actualizaci&oacute;n</sup></small>
<%endif%> <%if isPopular%> <small><sup class="pop">popular</sup></small>
<%endif%> </font></td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"><%endif%></font>
<ul>
<li><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2"><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>
<%if Description%> <span class="descript">- <%Description%></span> <%endif%>
<%if isNew%> <small><sup class="new">nuevo</sup></small> <%endif%> <%if isChanged%>
<small><sup class="new">actualizaci&oacute;n</sup></small> <%endif%> <%if isPopular%>
<small><sup class="pop">popular</sup></small> <%endif%> <small class="date">(Agregado:
<%Add_Date%> Visitas: <%Hits%> Calificaci&oacute;n: <%Rating%> Votos: <%Votes%>)
<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Calif&iacute;calo</a></small>
</font>
</ul>

I am using <%Destacado%> instead of <%Yahoo%> as previously suggested.

Crazy

Quote Reply
The reason you have double listing is that the <%if Destacado%>...<%endif%> section applies to Destacado links, and the rest of the code applies to all the links (including again the Destacado links, so they get listed twice).
The solution is using <%else%> in the following way

<%if Destacado%>
Destacado code here
<%else%>
regular link code here
<%endif%>

- Didi

Quote Reply
Thanks Mishpat. That solved the repeated links. I would like to have the sponsored links to appear at the top of each corresponding category. Guess I need to create an additional tag <%sponsored%> or code that will insert a template sponsored.html.
Similar to <%header%> <%footer%> tags. Is this posible?

Quote Reply
You have to follow Pugdog's advice - go to admin->setup->build options. In build_sort_order_category sort by Destacado DESC,isNew DESC,Title (or any other sort order). This will sort first by Destacado, meaning that the Destacado fields will appear first on the page according to the numeric value assigned to each link in the Destacado column. If the value is the same, the links will be sorted by isNew and then by title.

You can see an example at http://mishpat.net/...urces/find_a_lawyer/. The first link is sponsored (it says so under the link), the links are sorted so that sponsored links appear first, then new links and finally sorting by title.

Hope this helps,

Didi

Quote Reply
If the sponsored links just need to be placed in top of the rest of links in category pages and have a different layout it works well, but you may also want the sponsored links to appear at the top of the search results if they are included in the search results. This brings the limitation that you cannot use category grouping in the search results and also you miss the "score" sorting for the links. Any suggestions on this?

Quote Reply
I placed the "Destacado" as the first in line of build_sort_order_category, but the sponsored links appear at the bottom of the page. I want them at the top.

Quote Reply
You should use "Destacado DESC" not "Destacado"

- Didi

Quote Reply
Thanks a lot Didi. I finally got it!

Vicente - Smile

Quote Reply
Do you have step by step instructions on this?
It sounds like a great mod.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: [ken707] Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to
I put this code in my links template for my sponsored links but

<%if isSponsored%>
<b>sponsored</b>
<a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">
<%Title%></a>
<%if Description%>
<span class="descript">- <%Description%></span>
<%else%>

regular links here

<%endif%>

every link ended up with the word sponsored next to it. Here is an example.

Anyone give me a clue as to where I went wrong?

CCUnet

my Christian web

Last edited by:

ccunet: Nov 29, 2002, 1:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to
I think it depends what your field for isSponsored contains - if it is just 1 or 0 then it should work with

<%if isSponsored%>

but if it is Y or N (or anything other than 1 or 0) then you will need <%if isSponsored eq 'Y'%>

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to
This is what my isSponsored clolumn looks like. I origianlly had it as a enum radio button but changed it.

I have tried every confguration <%if IsSponsored%> ....<%endif%>/<%else%> I can think of but I can't get it to work the way I want. I just want the sponsored links separate from other link with the sponsored in bold in front of the link. It sorts fine putting the sponsored link at the top but doesn't set off from the rest of links and has sponsored in from of all the links.

CCUnet

Column Name isSponsored Column Type INTCHARTEXTDATEENUM Column Index NoneRegularUniquePrimary Key Column Size
(Only for CHAR types)
Column Values
(Only for ENUM types)
Not Null Yes No Default Form Information Form Display Form Type HIDDEN SELECT MULTI-SELECT CHECKBOX RADIO TEXT TEXTAREA FILE Form Size Form Names
(Stored in Database)
Only for checkbox, multi-select or radio forms.
10 Form Values
(Displayed on Form)
Only for checkbox, multi-select or radio forms.
YesNo File Save Location
(Only for FILE types. Stored on disk)
File Save Method
(Only for FILE types)
HASHED SIMPLE File Maximum Size
(Only for FILE types.)
Form Regex Search Weight

my Christian web
Quote Reply
Sorry but I can't really read that - it seems to have become jumbled in the paste. I still can't see what the values are you are using in the isSponsored field. Have you tried <%if isSponsored eq 'Yes'%> - change Yes to whatever it is that you are using in the isSponsored field for the sponsored links.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to
Sorry it looked good when I pasted it in it must of gotten jumbled inthe posting.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Make isSponsored an integer field type in mySQL with a default of 0.

You can then use the <%if IsSponsored%> etc...

It sounds like you have it setup as a text field or similar.

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Sponsored listing like yahoo In reply to
I have setup a priority column that works fine, But this sponsored one is driving me nuts. The column works but I can't get the <%if IsSponsored%> stuff to work.

Here is my column info

Column Type INT

Column Index NONE

Column Size

Column Values

Not Null NO

Form Display isSponsored

Form Size 4

Form Names 1,0

Form Values Yes,No

File Save Location

File Save Method

File Maximum Size
Form Regex

Search Weight

Any help or clues appreciated.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
You have a few problems here.

All you need is the following:-

Column Type = INT

Column Index = NONE

Not Null = NO

Form Display = Sponsored (or whatever)

Form Type = TEXT

File Save Method = HASHED

Everything else should be blank.

All you then need to do is change the value to '1' in your Sponsored Links and do the check as indicated above ie. <%if IsSponsored%> etc.

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory