Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

PHP Front End to Links SQL

(Page 1 of 4)
> >
Quote Reply
PHP Front End to Links SQL
Hi,

We've begun work on a front end to Links SQL in PHP. What this entails is a single php script that can add, modify, jump, rate, search and display pages just like Links SQL. It loads the same setup file and works off the same database.def file, so there will be no configuration changes and it will stay "in sync" with your admin.

What this means is you can use php templates to easily integrate Links SQL into any other php application, while keeping all the power and functionality of the Links SQL admin!

If any PHP users can offer any comments/feedback, I'd really appreciate it. We are planning to not have this compatibile with PHP3. I'd be interested if that's a problem for anyone.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
wahoo!

Cool Cool

You've just opened up the world to opensource software like phpAdsNew a pretty good dash god darn banner system and mulititudes of other goodies ... review systems / ./ (slash dot) news systems ... and won't you be invoking the devil too?

I mean I use phpBB which ranks near the top for forum software? I hope that you won't be stepping on your own toes here.

php3 vs php4 hmmm ... not exactly sure but you can use sessions to store information over cookies. most hosting services have updated recently so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd love to play with the templates since I use a little from both worlds.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi QooQ,

What, how, and where can I find out more about phpAdsNew?

About a year ago I purchased a system with all the bells and whistles, and it hasn't worked properly since I got it. And now that my income is depending on it, the jokes starting to wear a little thin.

Love to hear of anything that actually works.

Regan.
Quote Reply
Sounds good! Looking forward to playing with the script. By the way - which features of PHP3 will not be compatible with it? Most things are backwards compatible - unless you want to use sessions I am fairly sure that you could do everything PHP 3 compatible...

By the way - You can download PhpAdsNew from http://www.sourceforge.com somewhere on that site..

Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply

Hi Alex!

So as links is now is that what the php frontend will be like. Static pages etc etc..

And what will the cost be?

Last edited by:

Ian Conza: Sep 10, 2001, 11:01 PM
Quote Reply

Quote:
We've begun work on a front end to Links SQL in PHP...
Good News Smile, I was me not surely, whether I was to buy Links SQL, there my entire Internet pages based on PHP/MySQL. But thus the integration into the existing page is made much easier.

As soon as this front end is available, i think i will buy a license of Links SQL.
Quote Reply
We probably could do everything in PHP3, but PHP3 is so ancient now ;) One of the biggest differences (to a programmer) from PHP3 and 4 (that I recall) is that with PHP3 functions had to be defined before they could be used. There's a whole lot of improvements in PHP4, like speed improvements, and like you said built in sessions, and others...

Another nice thing about PHP4 is the database abstraction layers available. This would allow faster development of the initial release of the PHP frontend. We could make it only support MySQL, but we decided that support for other databases (postgres, etc) as well would be better.

Most hosting companies provide PHP4, and I don't think there are many left that only provide PHP3 support (you should switch if they only provide PHP3 :P), so I don't think making it PHP4+ should be that much of a problem.

I'll be working on this project in the next few weeks, so if any of you have any questions, concerns, or comments can add to this thread or email me at adrian@gossamer-threads.com.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote:
So as links is now is that what the php frontend will be like. Static pages etc etc..
Because of the limitations of PHP compared to Perl, some features will be missing, but it will overall be very similar to the Perl CGI version of Links SQL. Static pages will be the same since those are generated in the admin Smile. The dynamic pages on the other hand will function the same as the Perl version, but will probably be faster than the Perl version without mod_perl.

Quote:
And what will the cost be?
Alex would have to answer this one :) From my knowledge, it should be the same as the normal Links SQL license.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Oh yeah, another nice thing they added in 4.0.1pl2 (the version that the frontend will work with, and higher of course) added include_once() and require_once().

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Sep 11, 2001, 12:01 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:

There won't really be a need for static pages. The php frontend will really be a single php script (page.php or something similiar) that will provide the features off, add.cgi, modify.cgi, page.cgi, jump.cgi, search.cgi.

You could I guess build static php pages like many of you do now, but there would be little benefit (as you are already using the overhead of running a php script, might as well generate the whole thing dynamically).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply

Greetings Alex!

And the cost will be for this version ??

Quote Reply
Alex, this is great. It allows folks like us on a shared server to run the script in dynamic mode without taxing our server too much. :)

Yippee! (I guess this means a new learning curve too)

Quote Reply
When is the ETA for this? I am sooo close on the cgi version and perhaps I should wait before we move our site over (and have new urls for everything.) Do you have an ETA?

Quote Reply
Oh, I forgot to ask... Does anyone's server only have PHP3 or really want it to be PHP3 compatible? I don't know if we could make it PHP3 compatible, but I just want to know why you want it PHP3 compatible :)

Adrian
Quote Reply
Adrian,

When I mentioned PHP 3, I really didn't mean to say that I wanted it PHP 3 compatible. I personally use the PHP 4 and the Zend Optimiser - I know PHP 4 is a lot faster, however I wasn't aware of any problems that would occur running the code in PHP 3.

I personally would program it like it was only going to be used for PHP 4, and take advantage of all its features - however 95% of the time when you do this it would work with PHP 3.

Zend Optimiser only works with PHP 4 I think - so that is a good enough reason to update the PHP Installation.

Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
here's the link to phpAdsNew
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpadsnew/

Of course you can always check out the original phpAds which is made by the same folks who do phpMyAdmin ... just seems that they basically stopped worked on the script and have concentratd on phpMyAdmin ... mySQLman of the php world which is also on alot of hosting servers.

I'd really like some comments from those who use Adcycle compared to phpAdsNew ... the again phpAdsNew is opensource Wink

php4 benefit is definitely speed and sessions ... php with version 4 is getting close to perl .... then again I'm not a programmer. Frown just a user Smile

Ummm ... before this gets to crazy in here at the LinksSQL department may I recommend opening a new forum?????

Quote Reply
Will this new php front end include a detailed page? pretty please?

Quote Reply
ahhhhh ..... the end of only perl GT is coming to an end. I guess the SSI like capabilities of php is just to good to ignore ... also with scripts out there like ::: phplinks / bunghole (strange name but exists) and few other low level fundamentalists out there that GT could no longer ignore this whole sector of business.

tink about of all the Nuke'd (NO pun intended considering NY) sites out there that continue to grow everyday and they all run off of php / mysql.

OK ... until GT opens a forum for php check out:

http://www.devshed.com @or@ http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/ for more info on php and php scripts.

but won't this case a fork in LinksSQL development ???

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Very Good
Quote Reply
We've been running a hugely successful site using plain old links 2.0. We have problems now with the server grinding to a halt when too many people are using it (100-120 people) at the same time. We know it's the CGI spawning that's causing the problems rather than the constant browsing of the site as non-cgi parts still function properly when the problem hits.

We've been planning to upgrade to links SQL as we redesign the site in the over the next 2 months.

I'm new to both PHP and SQL so excuse my ignorance... but I'd like to ask a few questions.

1. Will upgrading to Links SQL alone improve performance?

2. How will this new PHP enhanced version effect performance?

3. Since we've customized the system quite heavily, we obviously only want to do it again once. If we wait for the PHP front-end, how long might (ball-parK) we be waiting?

4. In the meantime, whilst we redesign and get the SQL version in place when we upgrade, is there any way of making Links 2 work with MOD Perl to improve our server overload problems?

m.
Quote Reply
Re: [Moby] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Hi,

1. Yes, for large sites. However, you will still run into problems if you have a lot of concurrent users. For this, you should use mod_perl (requires Dedicated Server) or SpeedyCGI (can run on some virtuals).

2. The PHP front end will perform better if you have many concurrent users, and are using regular CGI. The mod_perl/SpeedyCGI versions will be faster.

3. We hope to have it finished in at most 4 weeks, possibly 3. We have a good chunk under way right now.

4. You can run it under Apache::PerlRun.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Quote:
Will this new php front end include a detailed page? pretty please?

Yes!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian Conza] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Quote:
And the cost will be for this version ??

Free upgrade!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
this is brilliant Alex, and all those involved - really looking forward to this. Finally be able to integrate vbulletin with links SQL !
---------------------------------------------
DeskPRO.com http://www.deskpro.com?r=gt
vBulletin.com Moderator and Support http://www.vbulletin.com/
Quote Reply
I'd recommend using GForum rather then vBulletin. vBulletin uses PHP which is good, but is not coded well at all. The new PHP front end to Links SQL should be great, and I am really looking forward to contributing to it after it is released - as some of you know I do a lot of work with PHP - and will be very happy to help out when the new front end is released.

Out of curiousity - will this be one file, or will it be a detailed.php - search.php - add.php etc?

Cheers
Cheers,
Michael Bray
> >