Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

New Install Error (For Me)

Quote Reply
New Install Error (For Me)
Alex, (or anyone else)

As you may or may not have remembered I posted about the install script locking up and not doing anything. It's under the post Install Boo Boo.

I've progressed a little. I looked at the script and per the comment:
Please replace the first line with
# #!/path/to/perl
# if the install doesn't work for you.

Now I get:

Bareword "th" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at install.cgi line 6361.
String found where operator expected at install.cgi line 6363, near "$i->{defaul
ts}->{""
(Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on line 6361)
(Missing semicolon on previous line?)
syntax error at install.cgi line 6363, near "$i->{defaults}->{""
Global symbol "$path" requires explicit package name at install.cgi line 6361.
Global symbol "$i" requires explicit package name at install.cgi line 6361.
Execution of install.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.

I thought I could have had an older version (I've been screwing around with this a while) so I d/l the file again and redid everything this time being careful to follow everything and the same results.

Any ideas?

Howard J. Brubaker

Quote Reply
Re: New Install Error (For Me) In reply to
I don't understand this... I've done quite a few installs, and reinstalls, with out any problems in the code.

by adding the extra # you need to run the scrip as perl install.cgi, but that is just a shell/os feature

What is the line in question? Where does it see the bareword "th" ?

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Oh no, I'm in BIG trouble if PugDog doesn't understand. There is only one #, typing error (actually cutting error)

I tried a few other options, same thing (hanging up) or the above error)

hjb

Quote Reply
How are you running it?

What OS, machine, etc. Virtual servers, or dedicated (who's the host/isp?)

What is the line generating the error? (ie: install.cgi line 6361 +/- a few lines)

For some reason install.cgi is not liking the environment it's in. Which is odd, since usually Solaris is going to give the problems, and I've installed, rreinstalled, and updated several times on Solaris and BSD with no problems. Has to be something "unique" in your set up environment. Oddly, I don't have a linux box I support or operate (any flavor) and I really avoid Windows :) <G>

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Non Dedicated server, Interland ISP running some form of Linux. The strange part is I did a 2.02 update my self (and it actually worked!!!) This was a while ago though.

No idea on line number, i'm still learning. I cut out the complete error message.

hjb

Quote Reply
Still searching for an answer. Called the ISP (Interland). The only change they've made (supposidly) is going to Perl version 5.005 from 5.004.

Quote Reply
More Info. I think I'm reading too much of this stuff. I traced the line # and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) when I typed in '#!/path/to/perl' (exactly btw, without quotes) it is looking for something like the path to perl, instead of a variable. Make any sense?

I changed it to #!/usr/bin/perl and it hangs. I let it go an hour and nothing.

Thoughts?

hjb

Quote Reply
Hi,

Do you have shell (telnet/ssh) access? If so, send me an email and I can take a look and see what's going wrong.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New Install Error (For Me) In reply to
Ok I give up.. I've done many installs playing around with different ways to work with this on test domains on my dedicated server (don't worry none were ever active except our primary one) I'm now trying it once more on a potential future domain and here is the error.

"GET /cgi-bin/links/install.cgi HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)"

I've tried everything from chmodding the dirs/files upto 777 checked the perl paths (tried both listed in whereis) uploaded in ascii / binary / and untar'd the file directly into the path and nada. This box is a cpanel box with linux 7.3 any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: [Dale_Brown] New Install Error (For Me) In reply to
Hi,

The line you mentioned their is from the access_log. You should have a look in the error log to see if it says anything.

If you'd like me to take a quick look, drop me a pm or email with ssh info and I'd be happy to see what's going on.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New Install Error (For Me) In reply to
DOH.. See I was tired... heheh access.log

Well really strange thing is when I came back today and for grins pulled up the install.cgi much to my suprise it popped up... HUH???? I asked.. Could there be something that had to settle down on the server like a perl script loaded into memory or something that would have happended since lastnight that might have made this available? I was adding and removing domains like crazy from within httpd when cursing at the server.. :)