Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Link Validation problem

Quote Reply
Link Validation problem
I have my Setup-->Build Options-->build_auto_validate set to the default of requiring ALL links to be validated. And I have the Setup-->User Options-->user_required=NO so that anyone can suggest that we 'Add a site"

The problem is that even though the link is queued up for validation in the admin, a search for the link from the user end will show the link has already been included in the database. The modify a site seems to work fine, in that the changes are not made until approved by me.

Is this a bug, or I am missing some code in the 'add a site' form that would keep the link from showing up in the database before my approval?

Bryan

Quote Reply
Re: Link Validation problem In reply to
Hi Bryan,

Unless you've added a field setting for 'isValidated' to the form then it shouldn't affect the default behavour.
Have you mod'ed any of the scripts at all?

You might also want to check your default setting for 'isValidated' (Database->Links, Properties->Go) in the links table. If it's set to NO change it to YES (I know that sounds contary to what it should do Smile), but have a quick look anyway.

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Hmmm.. It does sound counter-intuitive, but I checked my Link properties and the default was set to 'Yes'. So that wasn't it, but I went ahead and changed it so the default would be 'No' and I have the same behaviour.

What does the field "isValidated" do if Yes or No doesn't seem to affect whether or not the Link is added to the search part of the database? I did a build, and I guess it is not added to the build unless it's validated, is that the only purpose of the field?

I haven't changed any mods, but I have been upgrading from previous versions and simply replacing my default template set with an older one that had all my changes in it. Now I'm wondering if I'm missing some new template settings, or if I'm using the old Browser Templates.

Bryan

Quote Reply
Hi Bryan,

AFAIK the 'isValidated' is now used to set the "status" of the link, and means that there is no longer a need for a 'Validate' table;

• isValidated=YES > link is published to the category pages on build and available in the search results, in other words it is 'approved' for public circulation/viewing

• isValidated=NO > link remains 'on hold' in the admin/editor area until it is either validated, updated (when a change has been requested), or when it's taken off-hold and put back in general circulation

I have to admit to being fairly new to 2.x, I only installed it a couple of days ago, so I think I'll have to leave this to someone more experienced, sorry Smile.

Good luck!

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
"isValidated=YES > link is published to the category pages on build and available in the search results, in other words it is 'approved' for public circulation/viewing"

This is the part that doesn't seem to be working for me. The link is available for searches as soon as it is submitted, whether isValidated equals Yes or No.

If isValidated equals No, it won't be part of the build pages, but I would think it should also not be found in searches until it's approved.

Bryan

Quote Reply
One quick solution to this bug is add the following hidden field in the search forms:

Code:

<input type="hidden" name="isValidated" value="Yes">

Of course you could play around with the search.cgi script by adding in conditional statements or setting the sub search routine to exclude $IN->('isValidated') eq 'Yes' links.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks, that did the trick. Although I changed it to search for isValidated=Yes.

<input type="hidden" name="isValidated" value="Yes">

It seems like this should have been set in the search.cgi, but I don't want to have to change that if I can avoid it. Anyways, it works great now. Anyone can submit a link, and it won't be found in a search unless I have approved it.

Bryan

Quote Reply
Sorry...my bad...too fast typing...

I edited the above post...glad you got the hang of my post and applied the changes you needed.

Regards,

Eliot Lee