Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Header Customization

Quote Reply
Header Customization
I have spent the last 2 hours going through past posts and can't seem to find exactly the SIMPLE directions that I know have been posted here before.

I want to use a custom header for each category. NOT a customize category template.

This way under each specific category I can add whatever I want to the top that is relevant to that category. Either text or banners, images, etc.

I have tried using <%customize.txt%> and <%includecustom.txt> in the Header field under modify category & also tried inputing the actual code in the box as well.

Please tell me where and how to use custom headers - I use Links SQL 2.03

Quote Reply
Re: Header Customization In reply to
I have done this.
1) Make two new directories in your "admin" directory an call them "headers" and "footers".
2) Make text files with the html that you want to include. Call the files f.ex. "kategory1.txt, put these text files in one of the new directories.
3) Then go to the browser, edit any chosen category, an put the name of the text file in the header or the footer field.
f.ex. put "kategory1.txt" in the "header" field.
4) Just use <%header%> whereever you want.

You can have as many text files as you like, one for each category. It works for me.

Quote Reply
Hi,

When you add a category, there is a header and footer field that you can put html into. Just put whatever custom html you want, and then in your template put <%header%> tag to have it show for that category only.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
This is what I've done so far. I have many categories/subcategories that need custom headers (for banners, category title, etc). I've used the "header" field found by editing the catergory/subcategories and inputting the customized header html there. Included in the header html is the nav bar. Now I'm wondering, what if the nav bar changes? I'll have to go edit all the categories all over again. So, I went in to Template Globals and added the code "co_navbar" and in the description I put the nav html. I added <%co_navbar%> in the header field where the navbar html was before and saved. Didn't work. I went back to the Globals and changed the html to an URL where the navbar.txt file is located, thinking that might work. No, didn't work either. I deleted <%co_navbar%> in the category header field and replaced it with the url to the navbar.txt file. Still didn't work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
take a look at abcdentist.com ( go to the search page and click on canada, USA, USA-hawaii etc and tell me if thats sort of wht you are trying to do. I have custome headers for many cats and sub cats. If this is what you want i can help

Quote Reply
Hi Knewt,
I have no problem adding a custom header. The problem is, within the header is the navigation bar that might change from time to time. This our nav bar, not the Links SQL menu which we have at the bottom of the page. Our nav bar must remain the same throughout the site. I have many, many categories, each with custom headers. The nav bar is included in those. All I want to do is have a file with nav bar html in it and pull from that one file instead of putting the nav bar html in each separate category header. So far, nothing has worked. Thanks anyway!
Quote Reply
Try this: Create a new file in your template directory called nav_bar.txt with the html for your nav bar. Then, in each of the pages you want it to appear on, call it with this:
<%include nav_bar.txt%>

Hope that helps,

Matt G

Matt G
Quote Reply
Okay...since I'm not having much luck with my previous question, here's another one. Why won't the template global code work in the header field when editing a category (details in previous post)? Just curious - is that field only for html?
Quote Reply
Re: [mglaspie] Header Customization In reply to
Thanks, Matt. I have tried this. The problem is - I need to put it in the header field and it doesn't seem to work. The nav bar is included in the header - this was the way it was first set up by Gossamer. Banners are under the nav bar - our section titles are above the nav bar so it is all in the header. I guess the header field won't take the <%include filename.txt%>. I will post separately about this. Thanks again.