Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Feature List

Quote Reply
Feature List
I am just interested to see if a feature list of what is going to be in the new generation as opposed to links2.0 and links sql. I know there is a public beta coming out soon but a list of features would also be good. Thanks everyone.

Quote Reply
Re: Feature List In reply to
Incomplete list of features have been posted in the Announcement and Links SQL Questions forums.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
thank you, i found the thread in the annoucement forum. I didn't think of checking back that far.

"Now, the all important question.. when! =) Our target for this is end of May. I'm going to be out of the country for a couple weeks in June, so we want to definately have it wrapped up before then." hehe.

Quote Reply
Welp...release dates have been postponed due to the glitches that GT has come across...but the new version is supposed to provide a lot of cool features for easier management...especially large directories with lots of categories and links...but also nicely robust for smaller directories/portal sites.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I am certainly looking forward to it. I especially like the users feature so that you can assign people to certain categories and make a mini dmoz.com. (although that is in the old linksql instn't it). Just hope i am going to be able to tie it in with vBulletin.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I especially like the users feature so that you can assign people to certain categories and make a mini dmoz.com. (although that is in the old linksql instn't it).
Yes...this is a legacy feature, although the new version is supposed to include more user features, including a more robust registration feature...although I am using the modify.cgi Mod that Widgetz (jerry su) wrote awhile back across my different user scripts (Links, Reviews...and coming soon...Banners, Classified Job/Resume Posting, and a public discussion forum). And pugdog has written an Editor/User Modification based on the modify.cgi with some added features for Links SQL v.1.11...he has posted a link in the Links SQL FAQ web site (linked in the Resource Center and has referenced this Mod in the Links SQL Discussion Forum).

In Reply To:
Just hope i am going to be able to tie it in with vBulletin.
Shouldn't be too difficult...Robert, another Links SQL user, is working on integrating WWWThreads and Links SQL...I am working on a forum script similar to the one Jerry Su wrote awhile back that uses the nuts/bolts of Links SQL....still in the testing phases...but it is coming along nicely...and I don't think that I will publicly release the mod, sorry, but with the new version of Links SQL, it should be much easier to integrate it with other MySQL/SQL driven scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
It is all quite exciting really...

Yeah, that was the thing with the user base, it all seemed a bit un-organized with too many mods needed. The whole thing i will want to tie with vbulletin to have only 1 database of users who can then post at the forum and review links (and later check email) all using 1 user database.

Working on your own forum, sounds like a lot of work. I love vbulletin it has everything going for it. I have a huge dislike of wwwthreads though (sorry gossamer) and consider it a bit of a pain to use but never mind.

Well look forward to it all coming out. I liked playing around with links2.0 when i was doing a little project www.freeontheweb.com but i got bored. I am looking forward to using this version for my new website if i can just find that spare $450 from somewhere.. ekk :-)

Oh yeah, i understand why you wouldn't want to release your script, supporting it would be a nightmare! I do enjoy some of the threads from the links 2.0 forums where people expect support for mods, i hope i did not sound like that when i was there!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Working on your own forum, sounds like a lot of work. I love vbulletin it has everything going for it. I have a huge dislike of wwwthreads though (sorry gossamer) and consider it a bit of a pain to use but never mind.
Not really...the DBSQL module packages all the necessary SQL calls and functions needed to create almost any kind of script/program. Also, most of the commercial bulletin boards (including Vbulletin --> basically a replica of UBB) have way too many features in them and use too many codes to accomplish the same task. Links SQL and its associated modules provide relatively easy creation and management of scripts and tables in the MySQL database(s). Also, it will be a lot easier to connect tables in my "Links" database with other tables and databases.

In Reply To:
Oh yeah, i understand why you wouldn't want to release your script, supporting it would be a nightmare!
It is...and I am done writing formal modifications for any script out there...I am willing to still provide suggestions or quick hacks in the forums...but that is about it...

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
The difference in what I'm doing, and what most people do, is I'm running 9 different sites, running from almost a plain vanilla install (the FAQ) to a fully customized, rewritten version (POSTCARDS.COM and CREEPYCARDS.COM) with about 6 different levels of change in between.

That is the only reason I can release mods that work in a general community.

If I was writing for my POSTCARDS.COM site exclusively (my "main site") nothing I wrote would work because I have made so many changes to the logic flow and global variables it would be a nightmare to try to bring everyone up to speed. The Editor/Logon mod I wrote won't work on my two cards sites, without further modification due to the changes! But, I really don't need it to work there, only on the "links" sites.

This is what I hope in the next version is built in -- the ability to add global variables, and "standardize" upgrades (via plug ins) to help eliminate the bulk of custom changes.

All of this effort put in on the front end, means it doesn't have to be put in on the back end.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
9... wow.

Yes i think modules would be a really nice way for it all to be done. I hope things like a review feature (based on Jerry's but perhaps with new features" for example. It would also mean that if people mod that feature to improve it, all they have to do is release that 1 section and allow people to update it easily.

Looking forward for the release.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
, all they have to do is release that 1 section and allow people to update it easily
That's the idea.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/