Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Domain names..

Quote Reply
Domain names..
Just got notified links.com is for sale, only asking $500,000 US. =)

Good lord.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Domain names.. In reply to
yeiks!

Well, after the mad success of Links SQL, you can afford it, right? <G>

I can see Links.com as a good name for a proper business, but some words are too generic for general use. Now if GT.COM became available ;)

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
What about linkssql.com ?:)...

Quote Reply
Just some useless info..... links2.com is owned by Tucows!

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Alex...would you be interested in buying gt.net or linkssql.com???

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
BTW if you want to do that (linkssql.com seems like a good name to me) you should hurry up...it cames as available to me...but it may not do so for long once posted here....

Quote Reply
Hi,

Seems like it's already gone. In any case, our goal has always to bring people to Gossamer Threads, not to an individual product.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Ok, this is off-topic now (if it ever was on topic) but I would register the names of my products (If I run a company) as well. Take for instance quarkxpress (the desktop publishing program), I have used it for years and I never remember the name of the company that makes it...so I just go to quark.com...

Quote Reply
I think that the people who already know about GT and use its products will continue to visit the GT site and forums and by word of mouth, search engines, links etc...many people will also come to the GT site, however by having a seperate domain for a product enables you to market it more specifically and may actually result in more hits/sales as there will be twice as much chance of people visiting one of the two domain names.

Also people visiting the site after clicking the linkback at the bottom of the templates are obviously interested in the "Links" products otherwise they wouldnt have clicked the link in the first place and so by taking them to a domain that focuses solely on that product is likely to encourage them to buy or try rather than them turning up at GT's main page and not knowing where to look.

...And NO offence Alex...but for such a great product, Links2/LinksSQL deserves its own area of the site because in my opinion a page or two on the product doesnt do justice or give people a clear idea of its capabilities.

Also...a new domain would come in handy for the new plugins feature of Next Generation...all the plugins could be downloaded from their very own domain name! :)

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
It would be interesting to see the valuation for the cars.com domain. "Cars" is one of the most popular searches used on the web, and I am sure many people try just typing in cars.com. A large portion of the people visiting the site are interested in buying, the value of the domain must be huge!

What is really sad is that the domain has only been registered since Feb 12, 1998. Now what could I have been doing in January of 1998 that was so important that I missed that one? =P

On that topic, links.com wasn't registered until June of 1998. I hate cybersquatters. =)

Rob Bartlett
AAA Internet Publishing, Inc.
http://www.AAAInternet.com