Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Creating static pages

Quote Reply
Creating static pages
I believe Links SQL will create static pages of the directory content, correct?

Well, can it create static pages of each individual url in the directory database, i.e. autos.com would have a static page with meta data, britannica.com would have a static page with meta data, and so on.

I believe I saw a site that implemented something similar to this, when you clicked on the title hyperlink you were taken to a page still within the directory site that summarized the soon to be visited page. At that time you could clink on a hyper link to visit the real page.

Any ideas?

I suppose there would be a limit to the number of static pages that could be created, correct?

Quote Reply
Re: Creating static pages In reply to
If I'm right this is already built in - you'd just need to use the detailed page feature.

I think it even builds static pages and everything.

Cheers,
R.

Quote Reply
Hey thanks. I think that sounds correct. I hope the detailed page feature is a separate static page based on the meta data in the database for each individual URL, if so, then that is what I saw on the above mentioned site.

I'll research it. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Quote Reply
You'll probably want to change the title (which is normally the link straight to the site) so it becomes the link to the detailed page. Just a matter of getting a few of the if,then statements around the right way.

That way you won't have to display both the normal URL and the detailed link.

cheers,
R.

Quote Reply
I took a quick glance at a sample site from here and noticed that they have implemented the detailed page as mentioned above. Apparently each page gets placed in a detailed directory and is assigned a number, i.e. .../Detailed/12345.html

I wonder if there is an upper limit to the number of detailed pages that can be created? Anyone? BTW, this goes beyond the hard drive issue and more into operating system limits and inode size in Linux. I just wonder if anyone has an idea of the upper limit for documents, or if it really as simple as setting the inode per the typical size of the documents and viola...unlimited document numbers stored (up to the hard drive size)!

Quote Reply
Sorry to have overlooked the features page:

Detailed Pages: You can have Links SQL create a separate page per resource, making it ideal for large amount of information like press releases, or product reviews.

I apologize.

However, now my question is, what if any are the limitations on the number of detailed pages created? Can I create millions of detailed pages?

Quote Reply
I would say the limit is down to what quota your OS has set for the user owning and running the scripts.....so basically the hard drive space you have been allocated.

In my case this is 32gig if I require it.