Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding additional fields (and upgrading them!)

Quote Reply
Adding additional fields (and upgrading them!)
Hi:

I have been trying to add some extra fields to the Links table in version A-7, and I keep hitting an error:
In Reply To:
You should not enter anything in the 'Column Value' unless you are creating an enum field.
I am NOT entering anything in the " Column Value" field... could there be another cause for me hitting this error?

Also, getting a bit scared about the upgrade, Alex. In my pretty modified version 1.13, I use 35 or so fields... For purposes of a "painless" upgrade, should I:

1) Keep the fields in the same order... (from 1.13 to 1.2)
2) Keep the field names the same...
3) Anything I should do (as I enter the new Links fields) to make this work easy for me?

Will the new upgrade script recognize the additional fields in my databases (or can it be easily modded to?) and move the data straight across?

TIA!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Adding additional fields (and upgrading them!) In reply to
I imported a non-standard database without any problems, using my own import routines. Number of fields didn't seem to make a difference.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
PugdogŪ!

Thanks for the info.... I feel a bit better. Probably too soon to really talk about it (I'll wait until Alex's next version with the import is in, and play with that), but at some point, I may want to pick your brain about importing.

On the other point- I tried again today to add a field, and got the same error... any ideas? (Can't do ANYTHING until I get more fields in!)

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Reply
Pugdog:

Forgot to ask: Do the fields have to be in the same order?

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Reply
I don't think they would need to be in the same order.

You can do a 'dump' of the old database that names each field. That way, the field names are paired with the value.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ