Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

reciprocal links plugin

Quote Reply
reciprocal links plugin
Hi,

I have been considering the reciprocal links plugin but wonder if it can work in the following way.

I am building a static setupand have decided to make all submissions work on a form basis whereby the only info from the forms generate listings info. In the form they obviously need to fill in a link that is checked to verify a link is valid.

Does the reciprocal link plugin then go off and check the submitted page and if it finds a reciprocal link then it just ups the weight. How much does it increase the weighting.

At what point or how do I build this into my submission form, is it just another field.

It says for static pages on the plugin page "it requires page rebuild whenever you want the news to be updated. "

What is news?, I was hoping this just ran in the background and gave greater weight to reciprocal submissions, I do not want this information broadcast nor have any need for it.

I think my main concern is that I will not be spidering pages for submissions, just using the form so does the plugin work on its own to get the extra data to add weighting and if so to which fields.

rgds

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] reciprocal links plugin In reply to
Hi. You could simply set the 'Recip Required' option to '0', which would mean that a reciprocal link would not be required; however if they do have a recip link, it will assign Has_Priority to 1, which bumps its 'order' on the category pages up to the top (along with other reciprocating site).

Hope that makes sense :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] reciprocal links plugin In reply to
Andy;

What version of this is available now?
Is there a version history?

You may or may not remember, but last time I tried to use it, after buying it, I had to gave up.

The only thing it would do was set a flag, not send e-mails or give a list from which the webmaster could work from. And it had a problem not recognizing similar url's:

It treated www.site.com as site.com as www.site.com/subdir/page2.html

Has this been cleared up?
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] reciprocal links plugin In reply to
Afraid there is no version history. v1.3 is the latest version.

AFAIK these bugs don't exist any more. I've had about 50-100 people using this plugin for over 6 months now without any problems, so there shouldn't be any more :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Can you answer that more clearly?

I"m talking about ""capability" as you did not consider previous behaviour a "bug".

Questions restated below.

The only thing it would do was set a flag, not send e-mails or give a list from which the webmaster could work from.

-Has this changed, and if so, how?

And it had a problem not recognizing similar url's:

It treated www.site.com as site.com as www.site.com/subdir/page2.html
- Can it tell the difference between all three?
Quote Reply
>>>The only thing it would do was set a flag, not send e-mails or give a list from which the webmaster could work from. <<<

Well, all it does is set a flag still. The whole point in this plugin is not to let people know they have a reciprocal links on their site (cos the obviously know this, otherwise it wouldn't be there), but more to save the webmaster from having to manually check the links. Its simply a timesaver, not a full brown reciprocal link checking system, with full email capabilities, logins etc. What else do you expct for $20 Wink

>>>It treated www.site.com as site.com as www.site.com/subdir/page2.html
- Can it tell the difference between all three? <<<

To an extent it should. If I entered, for example;

www.test.com

and then;

test.com

...it would compare like;

URL LIKE '%test.com%'

...which would obviously match www.test.com. Its not a very easy thing to do, cos you have to be careful that you don't over-do the checks (i.e valid domains, that won't be let in cos the name starts with a domain in the database already), but you don't want to be too uncareful, cos they could then try;

www.test.com
www.test.com/index2.html
test.com/main.html

Hope that makes sense :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy, instead of making some new plugins, why don't you make "PRO" versions of some that you have. The PRO versions would give full functionality. Most of your plugins don't do what they need to. Honestly, just setting a flag is not enough for most webmasters. You can't check groups, you have to check the whole database. Being able to paste in a list for possible inclusion would be fantastic. And a webmaster with over 2,000 links will just not spend the time. A webmaster with 50,000+ links will just not even try. If you were to get some experience running a Links site with over 3,000 links for income, you would know that many of your plugins need some beefing up to be usable.

Want some income? With PRO versions, yes, charge double or triple.
Quote Reply
Maybe.... its all a case of time though.

Quote:
If you were to get some experience running a Links site with over 3,000 links for income, you would know that many of your plugins need some beefing up to be usable.

I do Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy does in fact know...

This is what Andy wrote to me prior to my purchasing the links script.

It all depends on what kind of site you are running; the quality of the traffic, and how willing link owners are to advertise. I used to have a hosting directory, which was on 20,000 hits a month, with about 2,000 links (hosting companies, programmers, etc). I used to make on average $100 per month from PPC adverts.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] reciprocal links plugin In reply to
God knows how you managed to find that email... I just had a look through my 4 months old emails, and its over 10,000 in the deleted box alone, let alone 15,000 sent emails :/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] reciprocal links plugin In reply to
Andy does NOT use his own plugins on a site with any significant number of links to make money, and that is why many of the plugins need a "PRO" version.

Having in the past made $100/month on a 2,000 link site that is popular certainly means there is no market, no traffic that will convert, or something is wrong.

Andy could make a lot more money from Links plugins that fully match the needs of the webmasters.

A "PRO" reciprocal link/banner checker is worth $150-$300 in my estimation. That plugin would match pasted in code and be flexible, automatic, smart, with many options, sending emails to webmaster and link owner, and would be easy to operate.
Quote Reply
True, but $100 is still a lot compared to a lot of webistes ;) (considering i didn't even do that much work on the site, as it just kept bringing in advertising money with very little work).

As I said, I will put PRO versions out, *but* I need the time to do this. With the merger between Pugdog and myself at the moment, its pretty hard finding any free time :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk