Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

does google follow jump.cgi ?

Quote Reply
does google follow jump.cgi ?
Hi, I was just wondering if Google das follow the jump.cgi to other pages and if these links are registered as links which influence the page rank?

Does anyone know? Someone should know but I think those people are locked up at Google. Smile

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
El Noe;

I do not think Google follows them. If they did, they would be listed in the incoming link results.

I have never seen Google list ANY .cgi as a incoming link, and I just reviewed over 10,000 incoming links that Google lists as incoming to a number of sites.. (no, not by hand!)
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
Hi,

I wondered about this and as an experiment added the following onto jump.cgi so it would print the whole URL into the link on my static pages:

Code:
&url=<%URL%>

I haven't actually tested the idea, I just thought maybe Google would be able to pull the "http://...." out of the link?

Then again, I could just be a misguided fool who is hoping it might work Smile

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
I think there is a way how google could follow, because if you use LWP::Simple for example to load a page and there is an url forwarding within the page Perl will load the forwarded site. I guess google might do something similar...

Thanks for your comments

Niko
Quote Reply
Certainly technology wise, Google could do that, but it is not the way Google works.

Google analyzes static links between pages, and does not treat a page with .cgi at the end as a .HTML page or a .Doc page.

CGI pages are dynamic, and you could REALLY mess with Google if it did analyze them or counted them.

It may actually follow them, but the page will be given no credit or PR value from the pointing page.

when you do this:

link:www.gossamer-threads.com

out of 32,000 links, how many have .cgi ??

None, I think!
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
hmm, I think google does certainly index .cgi
http://www.google.de/search?q=%22wasistnochfrei.de%22+bueroversand&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
but that is something else, because google thinks that your cgi? is a static html page, because you use a .html extension in you hyperlinks on your page.

Google doesn't follow the jump.cgi as mentioned above , because jump.cgi is a kind of a redirect

As you can see below. Your link has the syntax of a normal page, because of the path and *.html extension. That's why google indexed your page.
-------------------------------------------------------
www.wasistnochfrei.de/shop/office/ index.cgi?g=Diktierger_te%2Findex.html

bye,
ron
Quote Reply
This has been brought up before, and there are a couple of threads. I've posted a few .htaccess means of getting a higher google ranking and value.

If you are curious, get the google toolbar, and you'll get a rank of 0-10 on the "value" of your page. The higher the better, and "static" pages get 2-3 points higher than the dynamic off the bat.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

thank you for your comment. There are indeed interesting mods about this in the Forum but I was wondering about the effect on "customers" tho whom you link from your page with page.cgi and after what I heard and read it might be useful to include the URL in plain text somewhere for every link.

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
The default templates have a <%URL%> tag in them, which lists the plain text (not hyperlinked) url.

This can help get rankings, but it also allows people to harvest your directories much more easily.

I'm not sure if the URL needs to be hyperlinked, or if google will seek out the http:// rather than what is between <A> tags.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I think google gives the hyperlinked url a higher weight because of relevancy and their pageranking algorythm.

It will indexed the non-hyperlinked url just as plain text. If you put the non-hyperlinked url between <h1> or <h2> it gives a higher relevancy also.

Also the placement in the <body> does affect google.

bye,
ron
Quote Reply
Quote:
Hi, I was just wondering if Google das follow the jump.cgi to other pages and if these links are registered as links which influence the page rank?

Interesting, i know Hotscripts.com (one of the more famous sites using LinksSQL) was showing up as a backward link for i site i run using jump.cgi

Its worth bearing in mind that Google doesn't display all backward links to each site (this seems to be determined by the actual PageRank of the page your link is on (my sites Detailed page on Hotscripts was 5/10) - if its below a certain amount, say under 2/10 PR it wont show) also i've noticed now that Hotscripts is blocking indexing of it's cgi-bin folder in its robots.txt file:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/

Which probably explain why Hostscripts has gone from my backward links list on Google.

Comedy Quotes - Glinks 3.3.0, PageBuilder, StaticURLtr, CAPTCHA, User_Edit_Profile

Quote Reply
Re: [Chas-a] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
Back Links from Hotscripts work only in certain consions if you are TOP rated on something !!
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [rsahertian] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
I found an interesting article and project:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slashdot/

About retooling for standards, and html compliance.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Pugdog:

Interesting thing .... Google DOES index all links that use your detailed page cgi.

I wonder what the difference is between that and jump.cgi?

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] does google follow jump.cgi ? In reply to
Perhaps it's the fact it's called "detailed.cgi" and not "jump" ??

I wonder if you renamed jump.cgi to detailed_info.cgi if the search engines would index it, or if they would figure that trick out and hard code around it?

With dynamic sites, it's harder and harder for the search engines to ignore .cgi or .php or .asp

But, "jump.cgi" has a legacy of jumping to another site, and not providing any further content. It's treated as a "link" by historical usage.

A rose by any other name.... can trick the search engines ?? <G>

Another thing I found in some wandering, is that adding ID= to the parameter string causes some search engines to ignore it because it may be mistaken for a session ID, rather than a content marker. Changing ID to ContentPage= (would require a minor code change), may make a difference if anyone is interested in giving it a shot :)

In your templates assign ContentPage=<%ID%> and pass ContentPage rather than ID to jump.cgi. Then, at the top of jump.cgi re-assign $IN->param('ContentPage') to $id

Code:

my $id;
if $IN->param('ContentPage') {
$id = $IN->param('ContentPage');
} else {
$id = $IN->param('ID') || $IN->param('Detailed');
}

Or something similar.

Please leave a PM here.