Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

[Plugin] DirName converter plugin released

Quote Reply
[Plugin] DirName converter plugin released
The DirName converter v1.0.5 plugin (public release) has been released.

Description:
The DirName converter plugin can generate valid build directory names automatically, while it does invalid character conversion, based on Category names ('Full_Name' field). Conversion is based on very flexible plugin options. This conversion is non-destructive, since the converted values are placed into a new column, which name is set in Admin/Setup/Build Options/ in build_directory_field option.
Usage is recommended for users who use Non-English or special characters in 'Full_Name' field, but anybody else can find it useful, who need to copy 'Full_Name' values into another column, while a character conversion is done.
The plugin optionally can also generate 'Name' column values from 'Full_Name' column (this one feature is destructive, since it overwrites the old values with new one in Name column).

Features:
- Non-English_conversion: converts accented characters, but can be used for any kind of character replacement by changing the Non-English_chars & Matching_chars list.
- Invalid_replace_mode: replaces invalid chars with a user defined char (default is _ ). Valid charset is editable on admin interface.
- Merge_mode: merges multiple invalid chars (optional, admin interface)
- Trim_leading_mode: trims leading invalid chars (optional, admin interface)
- Trim_trailing_mode: trims trailing invalid chars (optional, admin interface)
- Debug_mode: option so you can display all changes how are done (optional, admin interface)
- Debug_list_only_changes: option to display only the debug info where there were really changes done

What's new in v1.0.5 (bugfix release):
- corrected a bug (use of 'category' instead 'Category') which caused problems on Unixes
- moved file level my() declarations to function level for mod_perl compatibility
- changed query 'do_query' to 'update' to have more elegant solution :)
- some small documentation changes

License: Freeware (Donationware)

Support Options: No support by default, but DONATORS get email support & CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS. For more info click the donation URL below.

Support, Donation, News & Update URL: http://links.jepp.hu/donation.html (click this link)

Related threads: International category & valid directory names, bug in dir Converter

Public release: Public versions are FREE to use by anybody for both private or commercial use. However if you find useful, donations are accepted.

Donator release: Donator version are the latest plugin version which is available, and contains Donator requested features. Donator releases are not available for the public, only 1 month later after the first release. However the donator versions are also available for those, who donates at least $20. When the 1 month delay, the plugin is released as public version, and will be available for free.

The public version of the plugin can be downloaded from Links SQL Admin/Plugins/Plugin Download/Show,
or from the http://links.jepp.hu/donation.html page, where the new plugin releases are first announced.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Apr 2, 2003, 3:37 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Plugin] DirName converter plugin released In reply to
The DirName converter v1.0.6 beta1 plugin (donator version) has been released on 2003.March.31.
Planned public release: 2003.April.30. (on 2003.April.30, the public version will be available free for everybody)

Until 2003.April.30, the v1.0.6 beta1 donator version is available for those, who donates at least $20.

What's new in v1.0.6 beta1 (donator version):
- added more2more character conversion feature (donator requested priority development)
- added 'conversion_type' plugin option, to select between '1 to 1' and 'More to more' character conversions
- added 'chars_more2more_matching' plugin option to input strings to change from/to
- added dupe checking of input values from 'chars_more2more_matching'
- fixed small bug in debug mode, to display 0, if there was no change done: count(conv. accents): 0
- better separation of main options & suboptions in plugin config
- small text changes

More plugin info:
The More to more character conversion makes possible to change any string to any string in Category names, having the input from in the Full_name column, and the result is put into the DirName column (or other you set).
Until now, to clean up the bad category names or bad accents in your database, you did need an SQL query for each bad word or string you wanted to replace. Now you create a list, what to change to what in Category names, and the plugin will do all replacements for you.
Also the result list can be used as directory names, thanks to the build_directory_field option of LSQL.
Having the correct directory names, you may be able to increase your ranking on Google or other search engines!

Example:
"Computación" category name, in directory name is changed to "Computaci_n" in the URL by Links SQL.
It means people searching for Computación or Computacion will NOT find you ranked high in Google, since they should search for "Computaci_n" to find you ranked high in Google. DirName converter can change "Computación" to "Computacion", having it valid for URLs.

After doing conversion with DirName converter, your category URLs will look like:
http://www.mysite.com/Computacion/index.html
You will likely get higher rankings in search engines, after conversion (this is just one those parameters, what can make your ranking higher, but this one is also important).

Please message me a private message or send me an email if you want to do a donation.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Apr 2, 2003, 4:36 PM
Quote Reply
The DirName converter v1.0.6 beta1 plugin (public version) is released and can be downloaded from
Info & download URL[/b]: http://links.jepp.hu/donation.html

Sorry for the late release.
Use it with pleasure.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi,

I was just wondering when I set up the DirName column what kind of Form Regex should I use for that column
At the moment I have Char 255 / Regular Column Index / Not Null : Yes /
Form type Text /

The Name Column has the following Regex : ^[^/]+$

Can I use the same for DirName ?

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [Plugin] DirName converter plugin released In reply to
I've used this one suggested by Paul :
^[\w/]+$

Will this be OK ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [Plugin] DirName converter plugin released In reply to
Sorry for late reply. I forgot this one.
Yes, basically it should do the job.

But since DirName column content is auto-generated, there would not really need to limit the content of it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support