Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Install CGI time out

Quote Reply
Install CGI time out
Hi,

The server that is hosting my Links SQL does not support Telnet and when I try and re-install or update Links SQL 2.05 the "install.cgi" script times out before completion. I have contacted my ISP to try and extend the time out or pay for Telnet but this is not an option they can offer.

Is there any way of splitting the installation or extending the cgi time out when installing?

Regards

Spencer
Quote Reply
Re: [webcity] Install CGI time out In reply to
Hi,

No, but can you try 2.1.0-Beta2, and go to

install.cgi?lite=1

It skips some md5 checks that take a lot of time on some systems.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Install CGI time out In reply to
Alex,

Thank you for your suggestion, I tried this but it didn't make much difference. Most of the files are installed but when I try and run the new installation I keep finding files missing, is there anything else that you could recommend?

Regards,

Spencer
Quote Reply
Hi,

Did the install finish? At the end you should see a little box saying it's installed with a link to the admin area.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello!

I have had this problem and have reported several weeks ago after the install.cgi + dat started growing as the help files etc started growing.

As suggested earlier, I see no reason why an entire install.dat needs to contain everything and the same could be achieved by more unpacking and more steps.

People sitting on a dedicated server simply should not forget the possibilities of heaps of problems others could have who are not on those lines.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I get to the following line when installing:

"Unarchiving (644) /usr/home/w/e/webcity/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/GT/SQL/Search/NONINDEXED/Indexer.pm"

Then the server times out, this is using the "?lite=1" command and I do not see the completion message.

Regards,

Spencer
Quote Reply
Hi,

We'll look into this asap and try to come up with a lighter packaging solution. You could ask your ISP to run install.cgi from shell for you. Should be pretty straightforward for them.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

Thank you for your offer of an alternative "lighter" installation package. It is unlikely that my ISP will offer any help with installation even if it is straight forward, they did not want to know when I asked about Telnet or help with installation.

Regards,

Spencer

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I have just downloaded the latest Links SQL version and tried the ?lite=1 option but I am still having the same problem of the installation script timing out.

Is there a lighter installation package or option available yet?

Kind regards,
Spencer
Quote Reply
Hi,

Actually that was the lighter one, we removed the extra template sets. =) I'm not sure what to suggest, I fear your system has a really low memory limit, and so that even if the script was installed, as soon as it tried to do anything complex, the system would kill it. We recently ran into a Gossamer Mail install that was only allocated 8 megs of memory. By the time you load the program, DBI, mysql driver, etc, you are right around 7.5 megs, so as soon as it tried to parse an email, it would crash out of memory. =)

May need to look to your ISP for help, or to another ISP.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.