Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

vbulletin Integration vs SQL*Links EMail Functions

Quote Reply
vbulletin Integration vs SQL*Links EMail Functions
I want to install the vBulletin Integration PlugIn, but I want to understand all of the implications before I do.

I assume that once this is installed the Links users table is ignored? If so, what happens to the Links Mass Email functions like the NewsLetter. Do these cease to function or is it handled in some clever manner?

Also, if the vBulletin PI doesn't workout, can it be uninstalled to return things to normal?

Do we know if the PI supports vBulletin Version 2.3.0?

Also, just FYI, vBulletin Version 3.0 will prob be out this summer if not sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: [vicos2] vbulletin Integration vs SQL*Links EMail Functions In reply to
1 more ?:

When using the vBulletin user DB, are vB administrators also seen as LINKS administrators ?
Quote Reply
Hi vicos2,

I'm using vB 2.3.0 along with LinksSQL 2.1.2, the plugin works just fine. Alex and Jack helped me to iron out some cookie-related problems.

- You can continue to use both scripts' mass mailing functions.

- You can easily uninstall the plugin if it doesn't work as you desire.

- I wouldn't count on vB3 being released too soon. However, I'm sure the plugin could be adapted to work with vB3.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] vbulletin Integration vs SQL*Links EMail Functions In reply to
well, I installed the PlugIn and it is not functioning as hoped:

(the following domain names are bogus, but illustrate the point)

Links is installed on test.me.com

vBulletin is installed at forums.me.com

the vBulletin PlugIn is installed and vbulletin_url=http://forums.me.com

Now, when I'm in the test.me.com and click on a link that requires LINKS user authentication, I get redirected to:

http://forums.me.com/...Frate.cgi%3FID%3D168

And of course, all I end up with is the vB control panel....

Hmmm... any ideas

P.S. test.me.com and forums.me.com are installed in 2 diff unix accounts on the same server. So, if Links need READ access to one or more files, I'll have to know which ones so I can set W:R privs.

Also, when I look in the LINKS user table, I only see my pre-existing accounts. The docs that came with the PlugIn say that the vB accounts will show up in LINKS... "If you have an account in vBulletin, and use Links SQL, your account will automatically get setup in Links SQL."
Quote Reply
Set the cookie domain in your vB admin panel to .me.com, so that cookies are set across subdomains.

Here's how it works at my site: existing Links users or new signups are first redirected to the vB login/registration page, then to the User Control Panel where I have added links to add.cgi and modify.cgi.

Existing vB users are only added to the Links User DB once they submit resources.
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] vbulletin Integration vs SQL*Links EMail Functions In reply to
OK, cookie mystery solved. Thanks! I'll play with the redirects...
Quote Reply
OK, it works pretty well except for this redirect issue. It looks obvious to me that it was designed to return to the appropriate page based on the url parameter being passed to vB. Perhaps this worked with an earlier version of vB? Anyone, it would be nice to get this working as designed. Anyone from Gossamer available to comment?