Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Templates centered in Explorer 6

Quote Reply
Templates centered in Explorer 6
Dear Alex,

I have found a bug and didnt saw any post regaring this in your forums:

by adding

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">

on top of each template file it is centering all content when I browse my pages with MS explorer 6.

Don't forget to change this in your next release.

merry xmas to you and all people at GT!

Sincerely

Steve

ps. is it possible to add SSI tags into a PHP page? and if yes how should we call the page .php or .shtml

ps II. how to edit the php templates? (maybe a stupid question)

Last edited by:

steveraf: Dec 23, 2001, 2:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [steveraf] Templates centered in Explorer 6 In reply to
Hi

actuallay that was discussed before and Alex Advised everyone to remove that part for IE 6 users.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Templates centered in Explorer 6 In reply to
OK thks.

There are many templates to modify. IE6 is by default the browser for win XP all over the world. I guess that it is still a good idea to remove that line in the future templates releases.

regards,

Steve

Quote Reply
I agree,

It should definately not be there, for no other reason than GT continues to use the <font> tag extensively in all its templates which is no longer valid for strict HTML 4.x.

In fact, my personal view is that there seems to have been a move away in recent times in the templates to using CSS extensively. I know it is in there, but to mix up CSS and still use now deprecated tags in much of the coding is not the 'best' in HTML style. Now I know I may get howled down about backwards compatibility etc... but HTML 4 has been out now for some years and the latest browsers work far better with clean code than some of the old remnants of HTML 3 etc.

Anyway ... this is a discussion for another place ..

Merry Xmas everyone,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, we noticed this too when IE6 came out a while ago, and they have been removed from 2.1.0.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.