Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Bi Lingual Site

Quote Reply
Bi Lingual Site
Here is a broad question, from a someone who is vague and new to co-branding and all the features/possilities of LSQL (but learning!)

My site is Canada wide and therefore should be bi-lingual.

Is it possible for users to select (English or French) say a radio button at the top of my home page?

In other words, all the site's menus etc (NOT THE ADMIN PANNEL!!) would come up in French.

This would be a really nice touch (and probably a requirement) for my fellow french canadians.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Bi Lingual Site In reply to
If you use the DYNAMIC MODE (page.cgi or page.php) of LINKS SQL, then you can simply create another "template" set for each language, then edit the home.html (main template) to include a form with radio buttons to choose language -OR- use CGI environmental variables to identify the language of the browser.

Then you would have to edit page.cgi a bit to reference the appropriate set of language-based templates.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Bi Lingual Site In reply to
Using different templates for different languages is fine, but is not always enough.

Just think about the forms, which are filled from database (e.g.: Category names, Form names, etc.).
How would you do it multi-lingual (even 4-5 languages)?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Bi Lingual Site In reply to
Uh...it is enough...You can customize the forms for end-users (like the ones used for add.cgi) by using different languages that signify the "english" column name in the database.

Thus, it is enough and it's simple to do.

Buh bye!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I was rely hoping for a solution in static mode. I have had Gautier (GT - France) contact me regarding this.

I can get the French templates through him (i.e. default, admin) but its the integration/ how-to, that I am not seeing clearly yet.
Quote Reply
Still being very new to LSQL, I don't fully understand how to customize..... is there already a language setting in GT in the settings/table somewhere, or are you referring to creating this field?
Quote Reply
Then order another copy of Links SQL and build a copy of your directory (statically) in different languages -OR- Copy the nph-build.cgi script and edit the variables in that file to reference a mirror of your directory.

Then in your home.html, you can use simple Perl script or javascript to redirect users to the correct language section.

Good luck!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Food for thought, Thanks!
Quote Reply
I don't really undertand how you mean.
Could you explain it in details?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
sooke

Contact jack@gossamer-threads.com - there's a plugin available for this. Jack should be able to give you further information.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Bi Lingual Site In reply to
Thanks wil, I hope to be chatting with Jack soon anyways.... I have been talking to Gautier, GT France I understand. He also had some interesting ideas.... but got to sort out some other probs first.

I guess no-one else is running a bi-lingual site of LSQL??
Quote Reply
Yes there are others who do. Contact Jack and he will be able to give you a list of people and their website addresses that use the multilingual plugin. Some of them are not the most pleasing on eye <g> but you should get the general idea.

Cheers

- wil