Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Auto listing under countries

Quote Reply
Auto listing under countries
Hi,

I was thinking of a way to make it easier to list a link under both, the main category, and the subcategory under a country.

So, for example,, If I have all the main categories listed also under each country. Then, if a link is added to the category it will show under the same category which is a subcategory of a country.

I thought of this solution, haven't tried yet, wanting to see your suggestions and comments,

The solution is to add a new column in the links table, the column is called countryid, then in the adding form we add a field called country, it would be easier if we make each country ID the same as the country category ID. Then the user will choose both the country and also what category it should be listed in.
Then we need to add a condition in the templates, to show the links when (countryid == categoryid AND when category name of the link == the category name).

Do you think this is possible? I'm sure the benifit is unlimited, its like making SQLinks 2 dimesional :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Essam] Auto listing under countries In reply to
anybody?
Quote Reply
Hi Essam,

I am trying to get the same thing to happen on my site... I was trying to solve this with category relations, but no luck yet.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Auto listing under countries In reply to
what about adding a country field for each link? like what I'm trying to do.
Quote Reply
In my case it is more regional i.e. province, but the same concept.

If I were to add a field such as this to the links table, how are you getting the link to show up in the other subcategories?
Quote Reply
As I said (Then we need to add a condition in the templates, to show the links when (countryid == categoryid AND when category name of the link == the category name). )

I'm not sure if this is possible though.
Quote Reply
That sounds plausable. I need to learn perl in a hurry Wink! Yep, I am new to perl, but not to coding.

It should be possible then to show a link in as many other categories you want then.

I hope to have a "Province or Territory" subcat under ever major Top Level Category. (Arts->Music->By Province or Territory). This is what our friends at DMOZ seem to do... but I don't know how.

These subcats would all equate to their partner under the Region TLC. (Regions->Alberta->Arts->Music)

I sort of have this already with related categories, but it seems to be working both ways and not just one way. Your suggestion may cure this problem.

Have you tried this out at all?

(sorry if I sound like I dont know what I am talking about::cause usually I don't!)

Wink
Post deleted by sooke In reply to
Quote Reply
I'm working on it. I'm stuck now with adding form. To enable users to choose the country of the link. Once I'm done with this I will start playing with the conditions untill I do what I need.
Quote Reply
I like the idea. However it sound more like a filtering feature.

I could imagine a link, looking something like this:
Code:
/page.cgi?cat=Computers&country=uk
This dynamic filtering could show you a dynamic page, with links from Computers category, listing links which are from United Kingdom.

This link will show Computers category with links from Canada.
Code:
/page.cgi?cat=Computers&country=ca
This would be really easy to use & also to implement.

Filtering feature, is one of the improvements, I would like to implement on my site, when my LSQL upgrade will be finished. With LinksSQL this task would be easier to implement than ever, so filtering feature has high priority on my development plan.
When I will create & finish the Link Filtering plugin, I will release it.

Let me know your opinions about the filtering solution...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Auto listing under countries In reply to
Take a look at www.ip2country.com ... Ultra cool stuff which can be blended into this filtering.
Quote Reply
Re: [shriram] Auto listing under countries In reply to
I don't see that your idea is related in any way to my planned Link Filtering plugin.

But who will pay $199 for such big (32 Mb) IP database? I'm sure I will not.
If I want to determine, where my visitor came from, I will do with a whois lookup.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
The link filtering comes in with what we're doing right now.

-- Visitors IP gives away his country with about 90% accuracy. No whois lookups (extremely expensive and network sensitive). We're currently doing about 40,000+ lookups a day without putting any strain on the server.

-- Once his country is figured out .. you begin some subliminal filtering. Offer them suggestions of what people from their area clicked on, they can be forums, news items, links etc. Build it in a manner similar to Amazon's recommendation system.

-- When a user searches for links .. offer them suggestions in their area and then other suggestions. If there are none in their area, offer them suggestions that people in their area are clicking on.

We've had such an amazing increase in click through rates when we've started geo-targetting content ....

Oh well .. was a thought. Didn't mean to intrude on your conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: [shriram] Auto listing under countries In reply to
I understand you now.
It is somekind of "let me guess your interest, my dear visitor" thought. The idea is good, I like it!
I would name it Automatic targeting, and yes, visitors would click more often to links, which was interest of another similar user (e.g. same country, same language, same hobby, same interest, etc...).

The auto listing under countries idea was related to link posting. So the posted link would be posted to selected category and also automatically incude into a regional category, based on country field you selected.

Quote:
-- Once his country is figured out .. you begin some subliminal filtering. Offer them suggestions of what people from their area clicked on, they can be forums, news items, links etc. Build it in a manner similar to Amazon's recommendation system.
I would not call it filtering in the meaning I use it. What you would like to do is an autofiltering and would be a feature, not a function.

The feature you want, would need a different plugin than my planned Link Filtering plugin, which will be based on user interaction.
So you would need an Automatic targeting plugin, which would filter automatically links, searches, related links, etc...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi webmaster33,

any news about the filter plugin?
Quote Reply
Unfortuntely not. This plugin idea is still far away from starting the development.
Currently I have 5 plugins under development and I can not start new developments.
I suppose I will implement the filtering as a feature of later XLD plugin version.

Read more about my plugins here:
Webmaster33's under development or planned plugins

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support