Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

use different template for category more pages -any easy way?

Quote Reply
use different template for category more pages -any easy way?
Hello All,

I want to use a different template for category's "more" pages instead of the default "category.html", For example, one category has 2 pages, I want the 2nd page to be different than the first one. Is there any easy way of achieving that?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
Hi,

Are you using static pages, or dynamic? If using dynamic, you should be able to do it - but static files are harder, and I believe would require core code changes, which isn't advisable =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
Thank you Andy.

I found a very simply solution. I need only to change the category template. "more" pages all have the "prev" tag, while the main page doesn't have it.

The reason I want to use different template for "more" pages is that I have some customized field for each category and don't want them to appear on all pages of the same category otherwise google (evil of the web) will considers them duplicate content.
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
Can you explain how you did this? I have wanted to do this for a long time.

Thanks,

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: [richonmaui] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
If you want to display something only on the first category page:

<%if not prev%>
thing to display only on the 1st page here
<%endif%>

that is it.
Quote Reply
Almost unbelievable that it's so simple, yet the experts didn't even know of this. I have asked how to do this a few times over the last couple of years, and the answers were similar to what you got above. This is such a basic and obvious design element that your solution should be entered into the Links manual. Many thinks to you for discovering and posting this.
Quote Reply
Re: [richonmaui] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
In Reply To:
Almost unbelievable that it's so simple, yet the experts didn't even know of this.
We can't know everything Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] use different template for category more pages -any easy way? In reply to
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Almost unbelievable that it's so simple, yet the experts didn't even know of this.
We can't know everything Wink

I really didn't mean any disrespect!! Far from it. Just genuinely surprised that this solution hadn't come up sooner. And I'm continually surprised and thankful at the depth of information shared within this community. (But I do expect you to keep working toward knowing everything, Andy~!!) Cool

Quote Reply
Quote:
I really didn't mean any disrespect!! Far from it. Just genuinely surprised that this solution hadn't come up sooner.
None taken :) I understood what you meant, but I just felt like posting a sarcastic response Wink

Quote:
(But I do expect you to keep working toward knowing everything, Andy~!!)

heheh Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk