Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

allow users to delete owned links?

Quote Reply
allow users to delete owned links?
Is it possible via the modify form? Can you explain how it would work? If a custom modification, feel free to PM me. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] allow users to delete owned links? In reply to
Currently have a client in contact with me about something similar. It will let users do the similar thing as modify.cgi, but instead of modifying them, it will delete them from the database. I'll make a post on the forums once I have something to show (wanna get my Expire_Links plugin done first though)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] allow users to delete owned links? In reply to
I actually have something like that as well.

I wrote a (several) programs before gossamer added the edit_modify feature, that allowed a user to see their pending links, and edit/alter them as well as their validated links.

The off shoot was, a user could "delete" or erase anything, by moving it to a "deleted_links" database table.

It's a *minor* change to existing code, and uses a simple check, and move. (It became minor in Links 2.01 and above).

There would need to be an admin setting to "allow" this, but what I did, was essentially make it so if a user deleted their link, it was moved to the deleted_links table, (and in a dynamic setting, that took it out of circulation immediately, search keys were deleted as well), If the admin wanted it moved back, for instance, it was generally useful, the link could be moved back after being modified, but set to user "admin" or "editor".

All this code will be released as soon as I'm back up and running with the new machine.

I'm *trying* to make a plugin/module that will take an install script, and set the plugins_cfg values for the function, but make it as simple as adding the function to an existing .pm file, or upload a new plugin, without having to go through the whole process.

Most "additions" only need to tap into a hook (if that) and have a few configuration options set.

I have a list of questions for Alex to answer once I'm back on-line, but i hope to have this releasted in 1-2 months, and that will end my need to write plugins, You will just FTP (or use a built in upload function) to add the new code to my SQLWidgets package. *ANYONE* can write code/functions to do that, and it will hopefully yeild a resources area of functions, subroutines, and such, that can just be entered/added with low overhead.

I still need help with the arbitrary tables, because I'm not good at setting foreign key relations, and what I need is some tables to make sure other things are done when accessed. Once this is worked out, though, there should be a majorly easy way to add to and expand the functionality of your links site, without having to know anything about anything, other than how to click a few check boxes.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] allow users to delete owned links? In reply to
Cool, this plugin would certainly be useful!
Quote Reply
Hi Pugdog,

have you been working on this (or anybody else out there...).

I will need this kind of plugin for some users who might own up to 2000 links.

It would be usefull, if the owner may delete the link from the search-result-page instead of moving to the deatailed page first.

I am looking forward to your answer.

Regards,
Lars
Quote Reply
Re: [calliope] allow users to delete owned links? In reply to
Hi,

What exactly do you need? I might be able to upload some code, or put something together.

I'm still working on some larger programs, that use a web-based interface (not the admin interface) and your User.Status to enable features of edit/delete.

Alex has mentioned that coming soon is a web-based admin getting away from the frames, so I've continued to develop the program in that manner.

I *think* I can cut out the portions of the other code that allows a user to see all their links, without the other features. Pretty much I handled the database call myself, and sent the links to the display routine, bypassing the links code (rather than modifying it).

Let me know what you are specifically looking for. Hopefully, I'll have some open time coming up, to prioritize the projects that have been sitting on my desk for a long while.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I found another solution, that should do what I need - combined with a small cron job:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...elete%20link;#207043

In short terms:
He adds a field to the links table and this way gives users the option to mark links as "Delete_Requested"

If one combines this with a small cron job that deletes all the marked links it is what I need.

For some reason it does not work in the way he describes it there but basic is allright for me.
I will write more about it in the thread mentioned above.

Thanks,
Lars