Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Validating Links Question

Quote Reply
Validating Links Question
Do you know if there are any existing ways to show an editor when the first logon if they have sites waiting to be validated?

There is a page that does this called: browser_link_validate_form.html but if I take those variables (eg. <%if links%>) and put them into the browser_info.html page, they don't work. (i'm also not sure if they are called this in all the template sets, but that is what they are called in the "mint" one at least).

I would think this would be built in somehow or would be easy to do, but I'm sure not seeing it.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [Demolitioncrew] Validating Links Question In reply to
With Ians' Editor Monitor Plugin you get this along with many other functions.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Validating Links Question In reply to
Can you tell us how you got it to work. I have that plug-in but Ian couldn't think of a way to make the plug do that either. I actually posted on his board first and he suggested that I pose it here.
Quote Reply
Yes, you are right.

The link can be created to the browser but the tag for defining the category cannot be done (as far as I can see).

It would be something like this

Code:
<%if Status eq 'Editor'%>
<p><a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/browser.cgi?category_id=1&action=link_validate_list">Validate Links</a></p>
<%endif%>

I think that is the only spot that could cause an issue. Maybe others have an idea on how to get around the category question.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Validating Links Question In reply to
You'd want to do something like create a function or global that would hook into the logon success page and when an editor logs on:

<%if Status eq 'Editor'%>
<%call_function_to_check_pending%>
<%endif%>

The function you'd call would simply check the editor's categories against any pending validation categories, and list them, or print a message "You have links waiting to be validated".

Once the editor clicks that, they are taken into the validation system, so you don't need to rewrite any of that. Make it simple.

You could even put that reminder tag on every page, at a performance penalty, but as a reminder, you'd only need to do it there.

You could even have it take them directly to the validation page, if links exist.

I'm still getting a feel for Ian's mod, so I' don't know how it all ties in yet.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Validating Links Question In reply to
Well, unfortunately, I wasn't able to get that to work for me either. As a last resort, I'm wondering if after an editor logs on there is a way that instead of the page browser_info.html showing on the right hand side that the browser_validate_links.html page could be displayed instead. Perhaps that would work?

Anyone know what is calling that page to pop up? I can't find it.
Quote Reply
I've still been trying to get this to work with no results. I think you are on the right track with this Pugdog, but I'm not quite there for some reason. I think this is an important editor feature..especially for large and complicated sites. Someone that know how to build these plugins should make one for me to buy :)