Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Recommend_It and bounced email

Quote Reply
Recommend_It and bounced email
I've noticed that the Recommend_It script doesn't bounce wrongly addressed mail back to the sender's address, but instead it goes to the default server account.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure this script to bounce mail back to the sender rather than the server? It is only a minor problem but it would be nice to let people know they have made a mistake rather than the current situtation.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Recommend_It and bounced email In reply to
How would that be done? Is it adding a different header?

If so, let me know, I'm rewriting this script as I'm typing.

Most bounce performance is dependent on the email system configuration, but I know sometimes headers can override that if the mail system is configured to do that. It has less to do with the script, than with the server, though. All the script can do is add the extra header.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Recommend_It and bounced email In reply to
pugdog, the same thing happens with bounced newsletters (they go to the default server account rather than the newsletter sending account). The difference is that I have access to the default account so I can still check the mail.

I have tried adding extra headers to the Recommend_It script without success - I guess I was just curious to know if this happens for everyone or just on certain servers due to the email configuration.

Are you rewriting Recommend_It v3.0.1? There are a couple of issues I have talked to Andy about previously:

- text emails have an extra line break, so they end up double-spaced. This has been solved by turning off compression in Build options.

- Recommend Count in Links table only updates by 1, should update by the total number of people sent to (IMHO).

The email problem seems to be related to Links 3 and the differences with email templating/formatting. This is a great little plugin though, I'm constantly reminding my users to make more use of it Wink.
Quote Reply
Well, it's probably your server configuration.... If headers are ignored by the mailer, the script can't do much about that (unless someone else knows something slick?)

Not sure what version I'm updating, I'll make sure to track down the most recent one. The ones on my sites are pretty old.

The extra line break is removed with compression off??? That's odd.

Hmmm..... The recommended count is an issue, that might be fixed with a flag (I'm moving the configuration into the setup area anyway). Some people are going to want to know how many times (not people) it's been recommended to. I guess if you are looking at it another way, you might want to know how many people have been sent the link. That would be a flag. I'll see if that can be worked in.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
The count numbers is just something I picked up on - I modified my code with a few simple changes. A flag would be a good addition to keep it all plug and play :).

I'm not an expert on mail headers but the ones I tried didn't seem to make any difference. If I add:

Code:
Return-path => $TAGS->{'from_email'},
I get this error:

Bareword "Return" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at recommend_it.cgi line 250.

That particular header is wrong in the email but if I use it in all lowercase there's no error but it doesn't over-ride the standard headers. More testing required I guess!
Quote Reply
Try quoting the 'Return-path' in the list. While what is on the left side of the => is assumed to be a literal/key, the '-' is an operator that has a higher precedence. Don't know if that is the problem, but it might be.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Tried quoting it and it still didn't work. I am developing another Links site on a different server, and on that one bounced emails (from link validating etc.) go to the sender address instead of the default server account. I don't have Recommend_It installed there but I expect it would behave similarly since it uses GT:Mail.

From what I have read it looks like Return-path behaviour has to be configured at a server level rather than overriding it in a script.

Thanks for the suggestions to try along the way :).