Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Hosting
We currently have millions of links on our SQL and searches on Links SQL are getting very slow. We have a dedicated server - 1.3GHz 512MB RAM, currently hosted at rackshack.net

We are considering switching to rackspace.com to a much much more expensive service with - 2 servers with load balancing, each with dual processor, 1GB RAM and better bandwidth providers. Does anyone know if this significantly increase our speed of searching etc. Also what about transferring the data - with such a lot of data on the computer how would you transfer this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [irollinson] Hosting In reply to
Hi,

I can not answer your questions, but the overall technical support I have got from rackspace for my dedicated server that they host since January 2002 has been just great. I used to have it hosted by Valueweb, who wouldn't give me the time of day without filling out a half an hour trouble ticket. Rackspace has a security section for it's customers where they post known security problems, all you need to do is ask them, and they keep your machine patched up for free. I think it's a great thing. Their prices, as you probably know, are quite reasonable as well.

Please let us know how well they handle load balancing if you do decide to work with them in the near future. I would be quite glad to learn from your experience.
Quote Reply
GT also offers hosting. You may want to talk with them before you make a decision.Smile
Quote Reply
Two servers with load balancing will obviously be better than one but do you have mod_perl on your current server, or will you have on the new one?....that will definitely boost search times.

Also do you use the internal indexing scheme?
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Hosting In reply to
thanks for you reply

i will look into that, but their site seems to be down at the moment http://www.gossamer-host.com/

does anyone know what sort of prices they charge?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Hosting In reply to
we dont currently use mod_perl but will implement it on the new server when we get it probally.

What is the indexing system?

thanks for your help.

ian
Quote Reply
GossamerHost's URL is:

http://www.gossamerhost.com/

If you login to your admin panel and go to Database > Links/Properties > Go ....then scroll down. You will probably want INTERNAL selected. Then run nph-index.cgi
Quote Reply
The link is incorrect on their main hosting page on GT then!

It is gossamer-host.com there.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If you login to your admin panel and go to Database > Links/Properties > Go ....then scroll down. You will probably want INTERNAL selected. Then run nph-index.cgi

Where in the links table should "INTERNAL" be selected?

Last edited by:

nt6: Aug 10, 2002, 11:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] Hosting In reply to
How do you mean?....you select it in the Links table editor at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Oooooops, Blush Okay I see it now. What the advantages of INTERNAL over the other options?

Do I have to run the script from shell? If so is the command "sh" & "name"?

Thank you Paul.

Last edited by:

nt6: Aug 10, 2002, 11:34 AM
Quote Reply
If you are using MySQL then you don't want MS SQL indexing so that's that one out of the equation Smile

MYSQL indexing is really poor. The search results are obscure and inaccurate.

So INTERNAL is the best for fast searches giving the best results. Running nph-index.cgi then basically builds an index of you database.

NONINDEXED will just be slow(er).

>>
Do I have to run the script from shell? If so is the command "sh" & "name"?
<<

Yes but you would use perl not sh (sh is for shell scripts, nph-index.cgi is perl)

perl nph-index.cgi

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 10, 2002, 11:50 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks Paul for this information Smile
Now could you tell me anything / recommend using Mysql 4? I hear it is supposed to be great going by the study you posted in the SQL area of this forum.
Quote Reply
I really don't know about mysql4....I used it briefly but uninstalled it shortly after. I hear the indexing is supposed to be improved but I don't have first hand experience. Alex may be able to assist there, or someone else who is using mysql indexing....sorry about that.
Quote Reply
You can also run the nph-index script by clicking on 'Rebuild Search' in the Database menu in admin.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Hosting In reply to
Not recommended for larger sites though.
Quote Reply
I knew there must be some reason why you said it needed running from shell - just couldn't see what it was Wink

Like the cats.