Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

glinks-3.0.0 does not exist

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
glinks-3.0.0 does not exist
Hi,
glinks-3.0.0.tar does not exist. Please contact us for more information.

Anyone getting this message when trying to download???
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
... looks now... the file is 3.0.0 is missing from the download area altogether.
Quote Reply
We logged in to download area
Was exploring the new download area.
Suddenly found that glinks 3.0 disappeared from the list (showing earlier)
Another 5 minutes and it came back on
Though our Gossamer Mail shows License Expired on the day of purchase itself :)

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
hmmmShocked 3.0.0 is back in file area... thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Smile... could be these guys just fixing the download section.... mine is up & I was able to download fine....Angelic
Quote Reply
Yeah, we fixed it just now.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
Are you able to fix registration issues? I have an account with a license that is showing as not activated, it was purchased earlier this week. It is not allowing the upgrade from 2.99.1 to 3.0
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
I can take a look, but Tarrin is the one to talk to about those issues. Can you pm which registration number you're having problems with?

Adrian
Quote Reply
upgraded fine... no issues so far...
took 20 secs to upgrade...
Verify links working...
Admin panel working...
Build All working...
Checking updates working....

Thanks LinkSQL team for such a great product... Well DONE! Cool
Quote Reply
o.k., what about the Gossamer Links 3.0.0 Manual that was in the download area a little while ago? 5 MB in .pdf format. i don't see it any more.
Quote Reply
Re: [iam] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
Yeah, there's a bug in the update code, that won't let us put that up till Bao fixes the code.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Do let us have the official update when it's all fixed and ready to go.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
thank God Angelic,
I had downloaded Manual b4 it was gone from download area. Wasn't so lucky with tar file that time. It seems great professional manual. I guess I can post it here...

.... hmmm sorry I can't...
Your attachment did not upload: The attachment exceeds the maximum attachment size (2.93 MB)

btw, I hate the idea of tracking the LinkSQL Mad... just a headache, how do we suppose to install it on local pc for testing & dry run? it's going to end up like microsoft...

it is going to create more problems then solving it.
Quote Reply
...so instead of modifing the running production site everytime, I modify local site on my pc to see the new result & make sure no errors occure. Now, no matter what I do... I have to make modification directly on the prod site...Unsure ... I guess not many people will like this idea?
Quote Reply
Quote:
I guess not many people will like this idea?

Guess I wouldn't. More so if you are never sure when the Online Update will hit a bug and ruin a live site. If GT can read the paths... well they can just about read everything on installs now including database.def etc etc etc.... now this could be as close to M$ who get all information transferred to their corporate servers by intentionally crashing IE and then starting that Data Transfer... Sorry guys, don't just take it otherwise, we are a bit paranoid on privacy and security issues.

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 9, 2005, 3:02 AM
Quote Reply

Quote:
btw, I hate the idea of tracking the LinkSQL ... just a headache

Posted by GT in announcements:
“Due to rampant abuse of our licensing terms over the past years, we've implemented a system to track installations”

Quote:
how do we suppose to install it on local pc for testing & dry run?

Buy a second license.

Quote:
it's going to end up like microsoft...

Lets hope so, I’m sure GT won’t mind being in that category.

Quote:
it is going to create more problems then solving it.

In what way ?

Quote:
...so instead of modifing the running production site everytime, I modify local site on my pc to see the new result & make sure no errors occure.
Now, no matter what I do... I have to make modification directly on the prod site... ...

Looks like the tracking system is working, well done GT.

Quote:
I guess not many people will like this idea?
Quote:

Especially the people abusing the licensing terms, no upgrades for them.
Tongue

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] glinks-3.0.0 does not exist In reply to
Is there a reason you cannot install it on a PC not connected to the internet ? That would be the proper way to test it .. not placing it into public space where it can be googled etc. When I installed 2.99.1 and I didnt have the license number during install it just told me I couldnt update etc. But it still installed. Im assuming then that if I installed it offline that it would work ? Is this not correct ?

Mike Oyler
http://www.roofseek.com
NT-Win32::Mysql install
Quote Reply
Quote:
Posted by GT in announcements:
“Due to rampant abuse of our licensing terms over the past years, we've implemented a system to track installations”
It's not really to 'track' installations, but more to only allow legitimate copies of the software to get updates.

Quote:
how do we suppose to install it on local pc for testing & dry run?
This really isn't my department, but I believe we do want to still allow people to do this. More to come on this later.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Everything would be fine and acceptable if:

(1). Their update system has matured enough not to ruin a live site. Currently the chances are very high.

(2). Fit for a single product installations. On multiple product installations there have been more than one occassions when the other application broke.

(3). There is some sort of clarification on how the privacy and security issues of the client end is ensured? How and in what manner. An AOL Staff could sell few million email addresses to spammers. Are we moving in the same direction? How is such thing taken care of in years to come by GT's ability to read details. It's good to view the good things fom GT's point of view ... but if the clients express their opinion it doesn't mean a thief is expressing it.

Oh if test installs and live installs necessitates buying two licenses, that's a lovely proposition from GT's perspective.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Everything would be fine and acceptable if:

If people did not abuse the licensing terms, but this is the real world, it happens.

I compliment GT on instigating this, although my view is it should have been done years ago.

You’d have a lot more to say if GT said to you:
“Sorry, we are no longer Supporting or Developing the Gt products due to piracy, it’s no longer viable”

I want to see GT build and prosper, that ensures that I will also and I don’t want to be in a situation anytime soon where I have to look for substitutes.

I work on a 50 / 50 basis, half won’t like it and the other half do.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Yeah instead of removing the bad apple just brand all apples to be bad and act across the board. It's not a question of being happy or unhappy about. Unfortunately any comment which doesn't go in the Guest Book as counting towards "Goodies" is viewed as coming from the "Bad Guy". This update ruined our Gmail install and one of the posts wrt that got a comment that it makes no sense. Then it took us Three days to identify Plugins.pm as the culprit and then it gets corrected and everything started making sense.

Who ensures that email addresses are not collected from the database of GMail and then sold? GT would prosper but the company using the Software would go bankrupt. AOL and the likes mention and maintain that they never sell email addresses, but yet millions were sold by a AOL staff ... AOL acts in defense to appease by suing that guy, but to what avail? Or perhaps a AOL like statement would follow:

"We deeply regret what has taken place and are thoroughly reviewing and strengthening our internal procedures as a result of this investigation and arrest," the company said in a statement issued last week."

Who ensures that this Update Will Not ruin a live site?
It's not a matter of 50/50 ... it's a matter of who hosts with GT (i can't when i can get two servers in cost of one) and who doesn't. Those who do not host would always complain the moment any of these things breaks a live site.

For me as a professional, a Stable release going offline within two hours of release doens't sound a good thing to happen.

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 9, 2005, 4:29 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Who ensures that email addresses are not collected from the database of GMail and then sold?

Who ensures your credit card details, bank account details and who ensures your going to wake up in the morning.?
Only two things are guaranteed, Taxes and Death, that’s all you get, the rest is a gamble, take it or leave it, that’s life.

Quote:
For me as a professional, a Stable release going offline within two hours of release doesn’t sound a good thing to happen.

Do as I do and wait for a couple of weeks / month before upgrading that ensures trouble free installation and running.

Quote:

As above !

Quote:
This update ruined our Gmail install and one of the posts wrt that got a comment that it makes no sense. Then it took us Three days to identify Plugins.pm as the culprit and then it gets corrected and everything started making sense.
Quote:

As above !

Quote:
Yeah instead of removing the bad apple just brand all apples to be bad and act across the board. It's not a question of being happy or unhappy about.

With GT implementing the security, I don’t take it personally that they are branding me as a “bad apple” , so why should you ?

I look forward to your views and implementation on removing the ‘bad apples”.

Regards

minesite

Last edited by:

minesite: Apr 9, 2005, 4:54 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Who ensures your credit card details, bank account details and who ensures your going to wake up in the morning.?
Only two things are guaranteed, Taxes and Death, that’s all you get, the rest is a gamble, take it or leave it, that’s life.

I cannot take that as line of defense. All those leaks have more often than not have had some employee level involvement... that's what my concern stems from. There can be ... just can be ... bad apples scenario on the other side of the fence too.

Quote:
Do as I do and wait for a couple of weeks / month before upgrading that ensures trouble free installation and running.

Let the stable be released accordingly then. Everyone sits back and watches and this months could become years as doing a test install would mean buying a second license as per your "security interpretation" a suggestion which we wouldn't buy. Last three years and one issue is still carrying on thru different releases and on different servers. perhaps would track that down also and post on Gmail forum as a fix by allowing server access makes us uncomfoirtable. We owe responsibility to our clients too. More than Our Interest we have to safe guard their concerns...

Quote:
I look forward to your views and implementation on removing the ‘bad apples”.

Go the Immunix Linux way. Even "as the remote server
end" we have to ensure that our security is not breached by some "Bad Apple" elsewhere.

Quote:
With GT implementing the security, I don’t take it personally that they are branding me as a “bad apple” , so why should you ?

It's still untested and immature in terms of reliability so my worries stem from that. Perhaps they should buy your suggestion that wait for few months before taking it head on with live sites particularlyon rmote servers (servers not with GT). Trust is a two way relationship. Yes if it's a M$ style of trust relationship path then i have nothing more to say on this ...

My worry is wrt security breach on our server. You can have frustrated employees anywhere and one is enough to cause a two way damage ... maybe damage control exercise of the bigger fish enables it to come out of it but the smaller one dies permanently ... that's my worry.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This update ruined our Gmail install and one of the posts wrt that got a comment that it makes no sense. Then it took us Three days to identify Plugins.pm as the culprit and then it gets corrected and everything started making sense.
Please do not confuse the issues. That problem had nothing to do with the update system. It was a bug in the 2.99.0 (beta) release that was actually a very strange issue with Perl (the code should have worked, but didn't).

In Reply To:
Who ensures that email addresses are not collected from the database of GMail and then sold?
What's going to stop us from deleting everything from your server? Gossamer Threads has been around for a very long time (in Internet years), and we aren't going to ruin our reputation by doing such things.

In Reply To:
We try our best to test the updates, and most updates can be uninstalled (obviously not an upgrade). It's hard since there are a lot of different configurations and even plugins can change the behaviour of the program.

In Reply To:
For me as a professional, a Stable release going offline within two hours of release doens't sound a good thing to happen.
Again, you're confusing the issues. The Gossamer Links 3.0.0 install package itself is fine and hasn't been changed. That was a bug on the Gossamer Update on our end.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote:
What's going to stop us from deleting everything from your server?

Oh that scares us all the more. Just as i had mentioned, an irate employee (for xyz reasons) could even do that and cause irrecoverable damage at the receiving end. So the point of view should be taken accordingly and not as any attempt to undermine reputation. We are paranoid on security issues ... prevention is better than costly damage control exercise post damage if the damage leaves any scope for that.

Thanks
HyTC
> >