Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

(Un)available Template Tags

Quote Reply
(Un)available Template Tags
Hi,

Does anyone know of a quick, easy way to expand the "available tags" on a given template?

Specifically, I want to use <%category%> on the login_success.html template, so that after someone logs in, they can immediately start navigating the directory for the purpose of adding links without first returning to the home page.

I thought I'd seen something regarding this recently, bu the thread I was thinking of turned out to be about passing tags to a Template Global...

Thanks for any help,
Smile
Matt G
Quote Reply
Re: [mglaspie] (Un)available Template Tags In reply to
Hi,

In this case, it's not a matter of expanding the tags.

On the screen you indicate (the area of the program, the user function, the "state of mind of the system", etc) the <%category%> tag is not calculated, and is unavailable.

You'd have to make a call to the function that generated the category tags in order to use it -- you just can't add a tag.

Now, there is a way around this, especially if you are using static pages.

When you build the site, have the program write out the contents of the <%category%> tag to a file during the build process. Then, <%include category.txt%> into the logon success screen.

If you are using dynamic pages, it is somewhat harder. You'd have to grab the call to routine that generates the top level categories, and use it as a function call in the logon_success template.

The first solution was discussed in relation to including links on the various pages, the second solution would require finding the routines, removing the unnecessary codes to generate it, then setting it up as a template global or a function call. (That is if you want it to look just like the main page). If you want to just list the category options, you could make simpler function that just requested the list of the top level categories, and formatted them specially for your logon_success page.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

On the screen you indicate (the area of the program, the user function, the "state of mind of the system", etc) the <%category%> tag is not calculated, and is unavailable.

You'd have to make a call to the function that generated the category tags in order to use it -- you just can't add a tag.

When you build the site, have the program write out the contents of the <%category%> tag to a file during the build process. Then, <%include category.txt%> into the logon success screen.

If you are using dynamic pages, it is somewhat harder. You'd have to grab the call to routine that generates the top level categories, and use it as a function call in the logon_success template.

The first solution was discussed in relation to including links on the various pages, the second solution would require finding the routines, removing the unnecessary codes to generate it, then setting it up as a template global or a function call. (That is if you want it to look just like the main page). If you want to just list the category options, you could make simpler function that just requested the list of the top level categories, and formatted them specially for your logon_success page.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] (Un)available Template Tags In reply to
Huh!

Sorry I never thanked you for your help on this one Pugdog! I didn't realize anyone had replied, so I was about to bump it.

For some reason, the forum didn't show any replies (until the thread was opened). Odd.

Anyway, thanks and I'll give it a shot.

--
Matt G