Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Paging Link Details

Quote Reply
Paging Link Details
A bit of a two part question... I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on how the paging works in the Gossamer Threads installs.

I ask because we've had some trouble in the past where after switching the site between static and dynamic, the 'more2', 'more3' etc paging stopped working. We contacted GT then and rewrite rules were apparently put in place to resolve the error it was giving.

But there are other installs on the site that weren't resolved, likely because re-write rules haven't been put in place for that install.

So at this time, on one of our pages - every paging button that links to URL/example/more2.html returns a Page not Found error. And I'm wondering if I must go through the process of reaching out and asking for those same rules to be implemented for that install too.

The second part, is wondering where these more2.html, more3.html files are kept and how they are generated.

On all pages we have a right sidebar with a global login box, and when one is on the first page (before using the paging feature), the login box correctly shows whether the user is logged in or out. But once you hit page 2 (more2.html) the login box shows the user as logged out. I am suspecting this may be due to an if statement checking the page_name, which may not be getting set in the more*.html pages.
Quote Reply
Re: [meso] Paging Link Details In reply to
Hi meso,

On first part: For every install that you are switching from static to dynamic you have to have rewrite rules!

Second one: There are no files generated and saved on server when running the site in dynamic mode.

On third one:

Not sure what is causing this, my best guess is: this have something to do with the rewrite rules.

Can't say much more I'm afraid. If you provide some more information - example urls where this is happening for example and if they are running in dynamic or static mode?

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] Paging Link Details In reply to
Thanks for your input.

We moved the site from static to dynamic, so now everything is dynamic on the site.

Here is an example of what I am having a trouble understanding...

So this page is essentially the category.html page: http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Europe/Germany/index.html

And changes I make to the category.html page is reflected on this page. But for example, if I change the title, or anything on that page - the changes aren't visible on this page: http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Europe/Germany/more2.shtml

It is almost as if the more pages aren't dynamic...

This is the same example as where the login box in the right sidebar doesn't register a user as logged in on the more page.
Quote Reply
Hm, that actually doesn't make sense if it happens in the same install as the rewrite rule for the category index and pages is the same.

As far as I can remember your site was developed and hosted by GT, it is a good idea to submit support request to them in that case.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

Glinks supports that feature.

First, check if the below urls are working as expected:

<%db_cgi_url%>//page.cgi?g=Europe/Germany/index.html
<%db_cgi_url%>/page.cgi?g=Europe/Germany/more2.html

Then, check your rewrite rule in the .htaccess file. That is the rul to pass to page.cgi with correct 'g' value.

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog