Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Columns on Cat pages...

Quote Reply
Columns on Cat pages...
Hi:

I had another question I hoped you would help with. I should have two columns of categories on the upper category lists. However, I am only getting one, with a break where the second column should begin. Example:

http://66.219.198.216/...2FP%2Findex.html;d=1

I see <DL> and <DT> tags in there, but I do not know what those are, or how to control them. What do I do?

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Columns on Cat pages... In reply to
This perhaps looks like a case of content width... in case you can adjust that. Had a similar situation while exploring with 2.99 beta.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Columns on Cat pages... In reply to
Thanks HyTC-

Sorry- I am really lame with CSS... what/where do I adjust?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I think you are still on beta (using core.css ...). Hey even i am totally dumb on CSS but core.css and custom.css is replaced now with a new template directory layout so i would say that you upgrade to RC from admin if you can.

Templates will have to be reworked then and in that case, you would need to trim on:

#ocwrapper {
border-right: 160px solid #e2e1eb;
}

#rightsidebar {
width: 150px;
}

That's what i use, and i hope i have used it correctly :)

I am on second round of template modifications and hope there are no major changes like between beta and rc

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Cool- thanks!

Yes, I am on 2.99.0- I d/led it yesyerday- I thought that would be current! Crazy
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
You can upgrade from Admin to RC though officially it is still not released.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I just checked the d/l area, that is the same 2.99.0 I d/led yesterday. There is no RC 1 there. Where is that hiding (you can PM me with that)?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Thanks- BIG learning curve on this! Wink
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
OK, so where exactly is the css hiding now? I have upgraded to the RC. I never did find core.css or custom.css. Will a map of how the files are being used be available? If there is documentation for this I missed it and would appreciate being pointed to it :)
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] Columns on Cat pages... In reply to
Pretty sure they are in the /images/luna folder :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
look for luna.css and luna_core.css
if all upgrades and fixes have been installed, then it would be under your static/luna directory

All template changes doen in beta have to be undone and started from scratch again :)

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
>>> All template changes doen in beta have to be undone and started from scratch again

That was my whole reason in d/ling and starting- to edit the darn templetes and get ready. Well, at least I only have one day's work shot!

I am leaving luna alone- I copied /admin/templates/luna* and /static/luna* over to new directories, and I am only editing them. Good idea????Crazy
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
look for luna.css and luna_core.css
if all upgrades and fixes have been installed, then it would be under your static/luna directory

All template changes doen in beta have to be undone and started from scratch again :)

So I have to build static pages first to get them? I have been working in all dynamic mode. That would be why I have been lost :)
Quote Reply
nope
path/to/glinks3/static/luna if everything installed fine and all fixes were applied

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Got it! Thanks!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
OK, so where exactly is the css hiding now? I have upgraded to the RC. I never did find core.css or custom.css.
We've changed the names of the files - core.css has been renamed to luna_core.css and custom.css has been renamed to luna.css. These are stored in build_static_path/luna, which by default will be set to build_root_path/static/luna.

In Reply To:
Will a map of how the files are being used be available?
We'll be creating howto's and other docs when we can (haven't really decided how we're going to organise them, but for now they're going into the forum).

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
That was my whole reason in d/ling and starting- to edit the darn templetes and get ready. Well, at least I only have one day's work shot!
Well the changes shouldn't be too hard to re-integrate. Most the changes made were to make the beta template layout more flexible (the templates now support a 3 column layout) and also to fix some CSS issues. If you look at the differences between your templates and the new ones you should be able to easily integrate your changes into the new templates.

In Reply To:
I am leaving luna alone- I copied /admin/templates/luna* and /static/luna* over to new directories, and I am only editing them. Good idea????Crazy
There's really two ways of doing things and it all depends on how much work you're willing to do and how much and what type of customisation you're going to do. If you're making relatively minor changes to the templates (adding small things, moving some things around), then I'd recommend just making your changes to the luna template set (changes of course going into the local directory) and putting your CSS overrides in luna.css. On the other hand, if you're making significant changes then you might want to create your own template set. The other reason for duplicating the template sets is if you're worried that future upgrades could affect your templates. In that case you would duplicate the templates and diff them with the originals after each upgrade.

So to summarise:
  • just working with the luna template set: less work with upgrades (new features automatically working on upgrade), but slight possibility of breaking if you've heavily customised your site.
  • making a duplicate of the luna template set: a lot more work with upgrades (need to go through the diffs and integrate your changes), but your templates will work as they did before

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Columns on Cat pages... In reply to
In Reply To:
Most the changes made were to make the beta template layout more flexible (the templates now support a 3 column layout) and also to fix some CSS issues.
Thank you for that, I made the change in the override css to show the left column and it worked great :) I think that the change to css is a positive one that many of us will be thnking you for in the months to come :)
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Will a map of how the files are being used be available?
We'll be creating howto's and other docs when we can (haven't really decided how we're going to organise them, but for now they're going into the forum).

I kindof answered my own question by printing out the home.html, category.html and site_template.html codes. It shows the other files and in which order they are called. Now I need to create a left_column to include and figure out where to put it in the templates :)
Quote Reply
The left and right sidebar's contents are in include_leftsidebar.html and include_rightsidebar.html respectively.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The left and right sidebar's contents are in include_leftsidebar.html and include_rightsidebar.html respectively.

Thanks, didn't see the new include file :)