Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Integrating news/articles

Quote Reply
Integrating news/articles
Any suggestions how/what would be a good news content article system that can integrate well with GLinks 3.0?

My site is based on GLinks and works well, but I want to be able to provide news / headlines / content articles (how to's, etc).

Suggestions?

Lance
Quote Reply
Re: [lancerasmussen] Integrating news/articles In reply to
Quote:
My site is based on GLinks and works well, but I want to be able to provide news / headlines / content articles (how to's, etc).

Why not use GLinks for this too ? I am pretty sure GLinks can handle this better than any other system out there.

1) Setup separate category(s)
2) Setup separate template(s) as desired
3) have fun :)

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Integrating news/articles In reply to
That simple, ha? Wink

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Integrating news/articles In reply to
Drawback is that it would be nice to have some of the article editing like used in the forum here to compose the articles. Also have it more catered to articles just as GLinks is catered to Links (unless modifying whole structure to specific needs)

I'd just assume keep it all GT (hmm. Would be a nice product to add to the GT lineup that could integrate into the whole scheme of product line. Use a plugin then to insert top X headlines in a position in the GLinks template and then grab article categories to put into menu in GLinks)
Quote Reply
I use article manger from Interactive tools integrates well with LSQL templates and Gforum. I haven't tried to integrates the logins etc however.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Integrating news/articles In reply to
I have Article manager but have not tried to implement yet.

Suggestions on integrating A.M. with it?
Quote Reply
Just a note, that Andy has a news plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Integrating news/articles In reply to
ahhhhh. I guess I should have paid more attention to the FIRST link in the plugins.... ;-)

I'll check it out. Andy's stuff works pretty well as does Pug's.

Lance
Quote Reply
BTW: LSQL could be a very good content management system (CMS) as well news/article system.
But until that point nobody did create such CMS plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Totally agree. I've been with GT a long long time. It would just be nice to see a push towards a full end CMS setup such as Mambo, etc etc.
Quote Reply
Yes. I would also welcome it.

I have been thinking on developing a CMS plugin earlier, but I would not have time to create it.
A CMS plugin would be a very complex one, and would need continous development & update.
Currently I couldn't have time such complex development.
(except if someone pays the development time Wink)

Basically Yogi's PageBuilder plugin seems to be a minimal CMS system. If it would be improved to have more features, could reach a good CMS level... But not sure, if he has time for a such time demanding development.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] Integrating news/articles In reply to
In Reply To:
That simple, ha? Wink

Regards.

How about using GLinks with HTML Area :)

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi,

I run a website for a community club - actually based on GForum rather than GLinks. I am halfway through developing a basic content system for that site as the committee needed to be able to edit pages. I think that the authentication system is better for this on GForum as you can assign people to groups who then have certain rights. However, I suppose that you could do this with Links to by adding new groups to the Status field in Links.

I've set it up so that I have a standard template that fetches an article from a database - the article has up to 3 paragraphs with a separate title for each. Then using globals it is possible to have a list of articles, I have an edit script and an add script for new articles. I think this is quite a straightforward mod that makes it easy to add new pages to your site without having to add a new template for each page.

I'm also using an html editor to make it easy for everyone to edit the pages.

Seems to work quite well. I think this would probably be quite straightforward to package as a plugin but I really don't have time at the moment. If this sounds like what you need I'm happy to try to talk you through the steps.

Laura.
Quote Reply
I've just installed Andy's plugin with GLinks 3 and am displaying the news content in the sidebar.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Integrating news/articles In reply to
Any working demo?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
I'd like to be able to pull RSS/XML headlines/discriptions from other sites and structure and display those in my directory.

See:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...apsed;guest=11324824

Any help appreciated :-)
Quote Reply
In a couple of days- just changing one or two text formats first.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I have Article manager but have not tried to implement yet.

Suggestions on integrating A.M. with it?

As I said I have not integrated any of the editor functions with AM this requires a separate login. However there in integration with GForum, each article submitted also puts a post in GForum for discussion. (see here) There is a link from AM to the post in GForum (ex here). I call the headines using ssi on my LSQL home page. At some point I will integrate that into the category pages as well.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Basically Yogi's PageBuilder plugin seems to be a minimal CMS system. If it would be improved to have more features, could reach a good CMS level... But not sure, if he has time for a such time demanding development.

Yogi's site is really well done and I believe all his articles are done using the pagebuilder plugin.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Hiya, ccunet;

You have a nice, well formatted display of recent forum threads (not posts) from the forum apearing on your front page: http://www.mychristianweb.com under "In the forums".

What was the code to do that? Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Integrating news/articles In reply to
In Reply To:
Hiya, ccunet;

You have a nice, well formatted display of recent forum threads (not posts) from the forum apearing on your front page: http://www.mychristianweb.com under "In the forums".

What was the code to do that? Much appreciated.

Check out this thread

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...tring=recent;#266458

You should find everything you need there. There was also a plugin.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=171805

But I don't think if works anymore since it was based on an older version of the forum.

CCUnet

my Christian web
Quote Reply
Hi, ccunet;

Thanks for the help, I've read both discussions. There's a lot of code and discussion. There's the solution for sure in there, plus some other goodies.

But there's some confusion for me still. Which code exactly did you use and can you post it? Yogi's or ?

Also, does that show the recent posts or the recent threads? I'm looking for the recent THREADS, to eliminate the duplicate looking re's, etc. Most of these are for the recent Posts, right?

In the posts you had a problem getting it working, then it was fine. What did you do to get it working?

Many thanks!