Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html

Quote Reply
dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html
Hoping this is something simple that I'm missing, but my static detail pages load the include_leftsidebar.html but when I switch to the dynamic mode, none of the variables are evaluated. I only get the static text bits, making it kinda useless. What I don't understand is that the category template loads it fully in dynamic mode. Calling that same include in the dynamic detail page breaks it.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
What's your Green Promise?
Quote Reply
Re: [kthull] dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html In reply to
Hi,

You got some examples?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html In reply to
Link to dynamic category page:
http://www.ebhtrading.com/cgi-bin/ebhlinks/page.cgi?g=TradeKnives;d=1

Clicking on more info on any of the knives to go to the detail page and all that remains of the left sidebar is the static text.
http://www.ebhtrading.com/cgi-bin/ebhlinks/page.cgi?g=Detailed/532.php;d=1

It works if built statically:
http://www.ebhtrading.com/TradeKnives (category)
http://www.ebhtrading.com/Detailed/532.php (detail)

The left sidebar code:
Code:
<%-- Note that this left sidebar is not displayed by default. See the examples in static/luna/luna.css on how to display the sidebar. --%>
<div id="leftsidebar">

<%if Name eq 'TradeKnives'%>
<p><%altCategoryText%> available by Maker:</p>
<%load_knifemaker%>
<%set prev_maker = ""%>
<%loop knifemaker_loop%>
<%unless Type eq 'Knife'%><%nextloop%><%endunless%>
<%set current_maker = $Maker%>
<%if $prev_maker eq $current_maker%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if MainSort eq '5_FirstLook'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if Type eq 'Sold'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if isValidated eq 'No'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%Maker%><% if Knifemaker_First%>, <%Knifemaker_First%><%endif%>
<ul class="leftsidebar">
<%loop knifemaker_loop%>
<%if isValidated eq 'Yes' and $current_maker eq $Maker and Type ne 'Sold' and MainSort ne '5_FirstLook'%>
<li><a href="http://www.ebhtrading.com/Detailed/<%ID%>.php" class="leftsidebar"><%Title%></a></li>
<%endif%>
<%endloop%>
</ul><br>
<%set prev_maker = $Maker%>
<%endloop%>

<%elseif Name eq 'TradeWatches'%>
<p><%altCategoryText%> available by Maker:</p>
<%load_knifemaker%>
<%set prev_maker = ""%>
<%loop knifemaker_loop%>
<%unless Type eq 'Watch'%><%nextloop%><%endunless%>
<%set current_maker = $Maker%>
<%if $prev_maker eq $current_maker%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if MainSort eq '5_FirstLook'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if Type eq 'Sold'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%if isValidated eq 'No'%><%nextloop%><%endif%>
<%Maker%>
<ul class="leftsidebar">
<%loop knifemaker_loop%>
<%if isValidated eq 'Yes' and $current_maker eq $Maker and Type ne 'Sold' and MainSort ne '5_FirstLook'%>
<li><a href="http://www.ebhtrading.com/Detailed/<%ID%>.php" class="leftsidebar"><%Title%></a></li>
<%endif%>
<%endloop%>
</ul><br>
<%set prev_maker = $Maker%>
<%endloop%>

<%else%>

<%endif%>

<!--p>
<%~if config.newsletter_enabled and not config.newsletter_global_subscribe%>
<%~Links::Newsletter::subscription_info($Name)%><%-- SubscriptionStatus: 0 = not subscribed, 1 = indirectly subscribed, 2 = directly subscribed --%>
<%if SubscriptionStatus == 2%><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/subscribe.cgi?action=unsubscribe;Name=<%Name%>&t=luna.<%theme%>" title="Unsubscribe to stop getting updates from this category">Stop sending e-mail updates</a><%elsif SubscriptionStatus == 1%><%else%><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/subscribe.cgi?action=subscribe;Name=<%Name%>&t=luna.<%theme%>" title="Subscribe to get updates from this category" style="color:#FFFFFF">Sign up for e-mail updates!</a><%~endif%>
<%~endif%>
</p-->

<p><a href="mailto:Jon.Ukman@EBossHoss.com" class="leftsidebar">Email</a> or call <br>312/399-9999 anytime.</p>

<p><?php @include_once("http://www.ebhtrading.com/ebh_count/counter.php");?>
</p>

<p>&copy; 1999-<?php echo date("Y"); ?> EBossHoss.com<br />
All rights reserved.</p>

</div>
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
Quote Reply
Re: [kthull] dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. I'm struggling to be the difference? Both static and dynamic both appear to be the same.

BTW, instead of building static pages - have you considering using mod_rewrite?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html In reply to
The issue is that on the dynamic version of the detail page, I don't see the list of knives available...are you saying that you see it?
Kevin

Quote Reply
Seems to be ok (see attached images)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Right...that's the category page which works just fine. It's the detailed pages that I am having issues with. My pics attached.
Kevin

Quote Reply
Mmm.. not sure to be honest :/ Normally its the other way around (stuff doesn't work in static, but does in dynamic)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Uh oh. If you're stumped then I'm really screwed. Laugh
Kevin

Quote Reply
I could probably work it out - but just don't have the time to I'm afraid :( (busy as hell at the moment as it is =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In dynamic mode, the category data of the link isn't loaded, since there's a possibility the link is in multiple categories and we don't know which category the user originated from. When it statically builds the site, it does a join with the Category table, since it needs to build a detailed page for every category it's in.

I think I might be able to put in a workaround for this issue.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] dynamic detail page not loading variables in include_leftsidebar.html In reply to
Adrian, that actually helped just knowing the category table is not loaded. I'm using an additional field in each link that lets me segregate by link type (knife or watch) and by using that instead, I now have my dynamic detailed left nav list.

Thanks!
Kevin