Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

SQL overloading the server..

Quote Reply
SQL overloading the server..
Hi

I have receievd an email from our host (Virtual privaye server) stating that certain script on our site are overloading the server.

The exact message was:

Quote:
Physical server overload has detected for few weeks due to resource intensive processes that are running on your virtual private server. Tonight, your server ran out of memory and locked your server. Following are few of the processes that were causing the overload:
bpwork2.cgi
rc_handle.cgi
page.cgi
safe_jump.cgi
and
mysql

Please look into optimizing your scripts.

Our server has 512 MB Ram and runs on a P III.

Can anyone help on those? I will be welling to pay a reasonable price for anyone that can identigfy and solve the problem.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] SQL overloading the server.. In reply to
Hello

I have got a technician o look at the page.cgi and jump.cgi which are among the scripts causing the problem..

He said that the scripts lack a "time out option" where they time out when they are running more than X number of processes..
Any ideas on this?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Just a suggestion - if you have control over the mysql server try starting it with log-slow-queries and then check the log file. Often the server gets overloaded because you have not optimised a table - just adding an index can make a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Try adding RAM. 1gig would do wonders for your situation.

Many processes get locked accessing the MySQL server, as noted. Adding RAM, will help management of MySQL's open tables, and processes.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] SQL overloading the server.. In reply to
Thanks for the advise..
We have already tried this with no results..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
I am having the same problem

I upgraded my Dedicated server to:

ASUS A7V600
AMD 3000+ Proc
1.5GB RAM

They even replaced the mother board, is there a way to build changes in increments just like the build stagger?

I needed to add it takes well into 18 hours to build in staggered, talk about taking forever! Enabling the ability to have satggered build in Build Changed would alleviate my problem with the server overload and the all day rebuild.
Thanks for any help in advanced.

SandraR

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing

Last edited by:

SandraR: Jan 19, 2005, 10:55 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] SQL overloading the server.. In reply to
Bump......

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
A better solution is to split one dedicated server into two dedicated servers, one for Apache another for MySQL.

Last edited by:

Danilov: Jan 21, 2005, 1:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Danilov] SQL overloading the server.. In reply to
Your not serious are you?

You suggest instead of paying $450.00 a month for a dedicated server, I should now pay $900.00 a month for 2 servers to enable a build change option -- to a suggested -- build change staggered?

If this is a joke - you need to annotate it with a giggle or icon laughing, because I do not find it funny without such annotations.

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
This is no joke.
You could get two servers (dual cpu/2gig ram/RAID1) for less than 450$/Mo. With 24X7 Online Support Visibly Present Always for any Managed Support (nothing extra to be paid for that).

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================