Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
iPhone App
Hi,

I've been commissioned to make an iPhone application based on the Links database. I don't need any login features, just a listing of categories with simple drill downs to detailed pages. Does anyone out there have experience with this and could recommend the best way?

cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: [joeybone] iPhone App In reply to
Hi,

I can't see it being too hard. Really, you would want a new template set called "iphone" ... then in those templates, have a basic setup of category.html/home.html/detailed.html/link.html

From there, you would probably wanna use mod_rewrite to setup the URL's to goto that new template set ... something like:

Code:
RewriteRule ^mobile/?$ /cgi-bin/page.cgi?t=iphone;g=index.html [L]
RewriteRule ^mobile/(.+) /cgi-bin/page.cgi?t=iphone;g=$1 [L]

Not quite sure where you would be sending them - would it be to something like mobile.domain.com?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] iPhone App In reply to
Thanks Andy.

Rather than a mobile-friendly page, this would be a native iPhone app. So I guess the data would come out as xml. But I'm wondering if xml the best way or using a plist file? Or perhaps another way? Any tips would be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [joeybone] iPhone App In reply to
Hi,

Mmm ok - as I said, never done an iPhone app =)

Exporting the data as an XML file shouldn't be too hard - just wrap it around the templates (will probably have to use html_escape to make sure that non-standard charachters like " ' @ etc are escaped to stop any problems with XML errors)

For example:

category.html:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<%loop link_loop%>
<link>
<ID><%ID%></ID>
<URL><%URL%></URL>
<Title><%Title%></Title>
</link>
<%endloop%>

...or something like that :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Post deleted by sangiro In reply to