Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek

Quote Reply
Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek
Just want to know if anyone has experience with any of these others and would be willing to share your views on their relative worth. I'm gonna post to the forums for each of these and ask members their opinions, so please share with me why you think Links SQL is better (or not) than these other two products.

Much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: [imno007] Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek In reply to
Not had any experience with PowerSeek, but HyperSeek.....two words. Stay Away! Not worth even the time on it, let alone the $$$'s. I've had so many people get in contact with me asking to fix their installations, support is crap, and code is poorely written (not like GT's...which is bang on Smile).

Just my opinion :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek In reply to
Okay, thanks. I was real iffy about HyperSeek anyways, to be honest, so right now I'm leaning more towards Links and PowerSeek. PowerSeek seems to have all or most of Links SQL features plus Premium Links and a built in Banner Rotator, which are part of the main package, not plugins you have to pay additional money for--and it's $50 cheaper. Perhaps you or someone else can take a peek at it and point out some obvious advantage of Links that I'm missing.

Thanks again!

Last edited by:

Alex: Jun 11, 2003, 12:46 PM
Quote Reply
1) Poor selection of Plugins. GT/Authors (such as myself, Paul, yogi, Ian) have over 60 available, of which 50+ are available directly via the admin panel.

2) No globals system.

3) Worse template system. For example, you cannot use <%include filename.txt%> or <%if something><%something%><%endif%>

Those are just a few things that I noticed :)

Also, I would imagine the support is not as good as that of which GT/this forum provide. GT are a leader in the technologies they produce, and just as good with support (most of my queries for clients are answered within 2-3 hours, or if its out of business hours for Canda, then a max of 12 hours.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Also, just take a look at their forum.

19 messages in their whole 'PowerSeek' forum Tongue Does that tell you anything?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Alex: Jun 11, 2003, 1:58 PM
Quote Reply
It doesn't look like it is doing boolean searches. For example, if you search for:

test spark

you get the following as the first link:

1. The Spark
Satirical online magazine. Includes the death test, and the purity test.
http://www.thespark.com/
More Info....
Relevance: 99.99%
Rating: [0] Votes: [0] Hits: [0] | Jun 5, 2003

However, when you search for:

test -spark

you get the same link first. Putting a "-" before the word "spark" should display all links that have the work "test", but not "spark".

Sean
Quote Reply
FWIW I (sort of) know the programmer behind Hyperseek and he's a good guy. Hyperseek isn't *that* bad but it's certainly not in Links SQL's league.
Quote Reply
Well, those are some points to consider, and I will. However, as for the lack of posts and plugins for it, PowerSeek just came out of beta. I know they call it version 2, I'm not sure why, but the thing wasn't even there when I checked out their website a week or so back. I was looking at TurboSeek at the time. Also, if you read the posts, you'll discover that there's only a handful there becuase they just lost all of the data that contained the beta posts trying to move it over from some old system.

I will consider the possible limitations that might be imposed on me up the road if more plugs don't become available soon, but for now, it has everything I want, including the ad management system and the premium links. How much more would it cost me to add these features to Links SQL? A banner manager would cost me at least an additional $149, and I haven't yet found one for that does the premium link thing. If there is one, how much will it cost me?

Unfortunately, price is a consideration for me. Right now it's looking like Links SQL might very well cost me at least 3-4 hundred dollars more to get what PowerSeek has "out of the box". Can I place links in multiple categories at the same time without an additional plug-in (if there is one)? Can I setup emails to automatically be sent to submitters--without a plugin? These are all things PS has as is.

It would help if Links had as good an admin to show me as PS! A page of text telling me what I COULD do in the directory isn't as strong a seller!

Anyway, I still haven't decided--just playing Devil's advocate here. Keep the replies coming! :)

Last edited by:

imno007: Jun 11, 2003, 2:39 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

You can easily setup premium links without any extra plugins (by premium links I'm assuming just links that show up first).

1. In the admin area, goto Database->Links->Properties->Add Column and add a new column called isPremimum with values Yes or No and default No.

2. In Setup->Build Options change the sort order so it's sorted by isPremium first.

3. Modify a link and make it set to isPremium = Yes and it will now show up first in the category results.

As for banner management system, if you are doing serious banners, you'll quickly find that the included one does not have enough features (as their are so many options for banner management, it really is it's own program), and if it does have enough features, then you would do just as well with any free one (which still would have more features).

Yes, you can place a link in multiple categories, no extra plugin required. It sounds like you haven't seen the admin demo though, have a look at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...s/links-sql/demo.htm

which will walk you through the online demo.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Oh also, there are a large number of free plugins (currently 27), not all of them are paid.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek In reply to
Okay, thanks for the instructions there. I'll have to assume it works, considering I can't actually create anything in the admin, but it seems easy enough. And yes, I have been in the admin before, it's just that I've spent a good part of every day for the last two weeks comparing various products and I can't always keep track of what was where. When I remarked about the "directory" I was thinking of the "Browse" feature which is suppose to give a graphical presentation of your directory, so....

As for the banner tool PS includes, the site's own description is this:

"The included Banner Rotator enables you to target content sensitive banner advertisements at any categories. It will keep track of clicks and impressions with detailed statistical reports and graphs. The Banner Rotator can also be used externally on any other web pages. The banner rotator uses MySQL for absolute accuracy in collecting banner statistics."

If I can have context sensitive ads coming up on keyword searches and keep track of clicks, that's really about the extent of my need for now, which the PS tool does. If there's something comparable for Links that's FREE and EASY for me to set up, I'd probably be happy with it.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
>>>"The included Banner Rotator enables you to target content sensitive banner advertisements at any categories. It will keep track of clicks and impressions with detailed statistical reports and graphs. The Banner Rotator can also be used externally on any other web pages. The banner rotator uses MySQL for absolute accuracy in collecting banner statistics." <<<

Yeah. Have a look at the adCycle site, and Plugin details. It has tons more features.

+ Time/date targeting
+ Multiple campaigns
+ Keyword/Category targeting
+ Stats (clicks, impressions)
+ Global that can be put in a template to show the correct HTML.
+ ... and tons more.

Their ad program looks a bit skimpy on features. As Alex said; you really need a total program for a decent Ad Rotator; such as AdCycle Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
If you are looking for a free one though, here's some free banner ad programs in perl:

http://www.hotscripts.com/...ree;sb=Votes;so=DESC

or in PHP:

http://www.hotscripts.com/...ree;sb=Votes;so=DESC

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Aye, but now we've come full circle back to the money thing...

It'll cost me $129 for Adcycle, and I need it, so that's pretty much the same thing as saying that Link SQL will cost me $579! Is there a free ad management plugin available that will work with Links?

Also, if it isn't apparent by now, please understand that I am strictly an end-user when it comes to all this stuff--hence why I would complain that there isn't a nice graphical presentation in the admin demo. So ease of use is definitely important for me, and I must confess that's probably one of the things I find appealing in PS--it just LOOKS easier to use, like I"ll have to do very minimal tinkering to get things done. I'm much more interested in content, everything else to me is a necessary inconvenience. My suspicion with Links SQL is that it might have some better features under the hood than PS, but my being able to use those features is gonna mean either a steep learning curve for me and/or a big price tag. So, basically, I have to decide if Links advantages are really going to be an advantage for ME.

Heh, thanks though, really, I appreciate all the feedback. Smile

Last edited by:

imno007: Jun 11, 2003, 4:20 PM
Quote Reply
See above post by Alex. Whatever you go with (PHP or Perl), its gonna require some adjustments. IMO, you would be better just spending the extra bit of cash, and ending up with a top-notch program (I am not being paid to say this, honest Tongue).

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
BTW, the $200 package of addons looks like a great deal, so I'm happy about that--just too bad there isn't a banner manager in there! Damn, STILL gotta spend MORE money! Pirate
Quote Reply
>>>BTW, the $200 package of addons looks like a great deal, <<<

Cheers. Lots of other people think that too :) I'm working on a banner ad management script, but it will be nowhere near as advanced as AdCycle Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
You can change this line on your site :)

>>
MyFaves - The only 'favourites' plugin available currently.
<<
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links SQL vs. PowerSeek and HyperSeek In reply to
Picky Wink I'm going though my site now, and adding demos/screenshots for the Plugins. I'll remove it when I get to that page (didn't even remember putting it there...scary!)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Oh, thanks for the link, Alex, BTW. Did I somehow miss that earlier? Crazy
Quote Reply
>>>Alex, BTW. Did I somehow miss that earlier? <<<

It would seem so. Thats why I pointed it out to you, just incase Sly

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
One of the things I'd like to do at the beginning is download the DMOZ files to set up a database. I don't want to run the whole directory! - just a portion of it, which I seriously doubt would exceed 50,000 links at it's most bloated.

Andy, can you give me the Dummies version of how I would do this with Links SQL, or point me to a good step-by-step instructional somewhere else?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
I wrote a script a while back, which slices up the content.rdf.u8 file into 17 or so smaller pieces (from 20Mb to 3-400Mb). You then run the nph-import.cgi script with one of the slice files that the script produced, and voila, it works upto 10 times faster than normal Smile Please PM me if you would like to get hold of a pre-sliced category.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Gossamer's customer support is amazing!

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective