Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x

Quote Reply
How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x
Before I state my problem, I just want to say that I have being trying for days to accomplish this task and the out come has been negative. So, I’m asking kindly if one of GT programs experts can assist me. I can follow directions but please keep in mind that my understanding of Perl scripts is limited.

Here’s what I want to accomplish, if someone who has time can direct me step by step on what to do……please please please!!!!
  1. I’m currently running Links SQL 2.1.2 let say on Server 1
  2. I would like to upgrade to transfer my data to a new server let’s call it Server 2 and upgrade Links SQL 3.x
  3. I have quite a few Plugins on my Links sql 2.1.0 installed which I’m willing to ignore for now.
  4. Server 2 is currently using a test domain and I have successfully install Links SQL 3.x
  5. I would like to transfer my links data to Server 2 using SQL 3.x

What’s the best way to do this? Can somebody please help by directing me step by step. You see, the person who did the upgrades from Links 2 to SQL 1.x and 2.x is no longer working with me on this directory and I’m now stuck.

Thanks

Last edited by:

goman: Oct 1, 2005, 4:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [goman] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
Hi,

In this case, I think that you just import data into GLinks 3.x because you have installed it on the new server.

1. Export data from Linksql2.x in a folder like admin/tmp by using the 'Import/Export' link in the admin panel and clicking the export button after enter a valid path(path/to/admin/tmp). Then upload it into new server at a folder like admin/tmp

2. Using the same function in the new Glinks in admin panel but now choose import button after input the path/to/admin/tmp.

3. If the result has no 'error', that means the import is ok. Otherwise, just post the error message.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
Unfortunately, you can only import/export to installations of the same version. To transfer your installation to the new server you will have to install the same version (in your case 2.1.2), do the export/import, and then upgrade the install to 3.x. Alternatively, you can upgrade your current installation to 3.x, then export/import (a slightly cleaner way of doing it). The nice thing about doing it the first way, is that you have a 'backup' on the old server and you won't have any downtime.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
Thanks guys; Yes you’re correct about keeping the downtime into consideration.
I guess what I have to do is to install 2.1.2 on the new server and then upgrade to 3.x.

Last edited by:

goman: Oct 3, 2005, 12:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [goman] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
Hi,

I'll jump on this thread if ok, I am looking into new host right now and use 2.1.2

Is it a clean approach to install older version then upgrade to newer version, I think I have understood that an older version cannot be ported across to a new install/version.

I do not have a blistering connection but can I use the import/export function (which i confess I did not know existed) between servers or do I have to back it all up first from server 1 then upload to server 2.

In the past I paid (the GSQL team) to make some mods to my installation, i am concerned I may lose these albeit some are in the new version anyway (such as paid links). This might cause me a upload import problem or is this unlikely.

Many thanks,
Kevin

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
The reason for needing to do the upgrade on either the old server or the new one is that you cannot use a database structure from one version with another version, since the code expects the database to be structured in a certain way (this also applies to programs of the same major version).

Moving your installation will require more than just the export/import. You still should copy over any file column data (if you use them), customised templates, plugin data/configuration, etc.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] How to upgrade to a new server using SQL 3.x In reply to
Thanks for the reply, I am using Andy's auto backup, v1.5.6.

Been reading the documentation and I'm hoping this might acheive the desired result. Would this be correct Andy?

thanks

Cheers
KevM