Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

another server migration prob

Quote Reply
another server migration prob
Hi,

seems to be a common theme right now, maybe its cause the sun is finally out.

had a install which I've had running for years now migrated to another server using cpanel (the host did this)

but I cannot access admin.cgi. its def there and permissions are 755 but I tap the url in from my browser and it simply refuses to acknowledge the file exists.

I am totally stumped with this, have read around but can't figure it out, server setup, file needs amending ??. It was a complete mirror so I would have expected it to work if I am honest.

thanks
Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: [pgtips] another server migration prob In reply to
Hi,

What error do you get in your error log? Try running it from telnet/SSH, using:

Code:
cd /path/to/admin
perl admin.cgi
Does it run ok and output HTML?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] another server migration prob In reply to
Hi Andy,

really top to hear from you again, its like bumping into old acquaintances, hope ur enjoying this sun at last.

I ran the telnet command and got html output in my DOS screen

Cheers
Kevin
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you using mod_rewrite?

If you have access to your apache server logs it would be helpful to paste here the log records from the request.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] another server migration prob In reply to
eupos wrote:
Hi, Are you using mod_rewrite? If you have access to your apache server logs it would be helpful to paste here the log records from the request.

Hi Boris, not using mod_rewrite (to be honest I don't know what that is) when you say apache server logs do you mean my cpanel error log which I can cut and paste into a file and upload? cheers Kevin

Last edited by:

pgtips: Jul 24, 2012, 6:15 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Kevin,

Quote:
when you say apache server logs do you mean my cpanel error log which I can cut and paste into a file and upload?

Yes, I think that should do.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi Boris,

attached my shared server log.

I sincerely appreciate your help with this,

Kevin
Quote Reply
Hm, there is no any reference to admin.cgi in that log, from what I see you have debugging enabled and since cPanel shows only the last 300 lines in error console my guess is it's was overwritten.

Can you try once again and get me more recent one?

It would help if you have the page to error log and refresh it immediately after you try to access admin.cgi

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
Hi,

What CHMOD is your /admin directory? Make sure its not 777 (should be 755). Failing that, shoot over FTP + GLinks admin logins, and I'll take a quick look when I get a chance.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

more recent attached

Kevin
Quote Reply
Andy,

email to ultranerds Smile
Quote Reply
Shucks, still no log entry for admin.cgi Frown

If you can disable debugging by editing GLinks configuration file and then try again it would work this time.

But from the Internal server error you saw in your browser is either permission problem or wrong path/to/perl in admin.cgi.

You can compare admin.cgi and for example page.cgi by typing these commands in Telnet/SSH.

Code:
head -10 /path/to/page.cgi

and

head -10 /path/to/admin.cgi

And then paste the result here.

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
All sorted. Was a boo-boo in the .htaccess file for admin login. It had "home2" as the root folder, but should be "home". Changed that, and it works fine now Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
a big thanks to Andy, and Boris who gave up valuable time to assist me with this, the .htaccess files are not something I would have thought to check.

cheers,
Kevin