Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Cannot Add a Link

Quote Reply
Cannot Add a Link
I am having a problem with the "Add a Link" feature, users get the following message when adding a link: “Unable to connect to site. It is either down, or does not exist!”
I am using Glinks 3.0.3 with the Ultranerds “Ad_Spider” plugin. Uninstalling the plugin makes no difference.
Has anyone experienced this, or any suggestion as to what may be the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [ecosse] Cannot Add a Link In reply to
Hi,

Which version of Add_Spider are you using? There is a special version for GLinks 3.x, which fixes a hook problem from 2.2.x --> 3.x.

"Unable to connect to site. It is either down, or does not exist!"

This error message normally indicates that;

1) The URL they entered isn't valid, and thus can't be "grabbed"
2) LWP::Simple isn't working right on your server. Try this test script (test.cgi);

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use LWP::Simple;

print "Content-Type: text/html \n\n";
print "GOT" . get("http://www.google.com");

..upload to your cgi-bin, CHMOD to 755, and then run from the browser with http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi

This should then print out the HTML grabbed from Google (dead images, possibly) .. but it will proove is LWP::Simple is working as it should Smile

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Cannot Add a Link In reply to
Thanks for your help earlier this week Andy. Problem has recurred - same same error message and blank category field after attempting to Add Link.

The above code returns the Google home page with dead images so it would seem LWP::Simple is working OK
Quote Reply
Mmmm.. what version is this on?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Cannot Add a Link In reply to
We are using Glinks 3.0.4, Recip_Link 2.4 and Add_Spider 1.3
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mmm.. interesting. Is it possible to have SSH/FTP/GLinks access details, so I can take a look for you (email to andy @ ultranerds.com if you'd like me to take a look).

Not a lot more in terms of debugging I can do over the forum I'm afraid :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk