Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Accepting Submissions Without Web Sites

Quote Reply
Accepting Submissions Without Web Sites
I want to be able to provide detail pages to businesses that do not have web sites also. The problem is that the URL is required and when I change Not Null to No i get this error

A column must be defined as not null if you want to index it.

How can I accept both kinds of submissions? I would be happy just to be able to add the non web site businesses through admin.

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Accepting Submissions Without Web Sites In reply to
If you wanted to just add those without a website yourself through admin, you could add a special/unique url (maybe your own) for those businesses without a website. Then on the link.html (or any other template page with a link to the website) have a condition. Something like:

<%if URL eq 'http://www.yourownurl.com'%>
The Title without a link (or nothing) here
<%else%>
The Title with the link as is normally done
<%endif%>

I suppose there are probably better ways to do this, but this just came to mind.

--FrankM
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] Accepting Submissions Without Web Sites In reply to
Hi Frank,

That seems like a great solution. I'm sure it's probably one of the easiest as well!

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
This is a little tougher! Since I have sites with no web sites liseted is there a way to for Links SQL to count the hits to the detail pages only for the listingss with no websites? For the the listings with websites I'd like to keep the default way of counting.

Thanks,

Craven

If not is there a way to set up links to count detail page hits and jump.cgi hits both?
Quote Reply
If you use jump.cgi?Detail=<%ID%> for the links which do not have urls and jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%> for those that do - I think that should do what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Accepting Submissions Without Web Sites In reply to
Hi,

I tried changing this and got the following error

Error

Oops, we had the following problem:

Unable to find link with id: ''.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
Oops - it should be Detailed not Detail - does that fix the problem?
Quote Reply
When I change it to Detailed I get a 404 not found error. I've been trying a few different things but can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks

Craven
Quote Reply
This is what I'm using right now

<%if URL eq 'http://www.nowebsite.com'%>
<%body_font%><a class="category_links" target="_top" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%>"><b><%Title%></b></a>
<%else%>
<%body_font%><a class="category_links" target="_top" href="<%detailed_url%>"><b><%Title%></b></a>
<%endif%>

I'm sending all hits to the detail pages but only trying to count hits on the no web site links. I thought for sure this was going to work!

Craven
Quote Reply
Well I can't see why that isn't working.

I can't see why you would get a 404 not found error for jump.cgi - so I guess that the problem must be that the detail page doesn't exist. I assume you must have detail pages turned on because you are using <%detailed_url%>.

Can you try typing into your address bar http://www.yourdomain.com/.../jump.cgi?Detailed=1

change the 1 to a link which exists (and obviously change yourdomain!) and if you still get a problem we can at least narrow it down.
Quote Reply
That Helped!!! I changed the number and found that all other links worked. After I ran build changed again it worked fine. Not sure why it was necessary since the detail page had already been built though! Who knows? But it works now so thanks a lot for the help!

Craven
Quote Reply
Crazy - computers are strange. Glad it worked.

Last edited by:

afinlr: Jan 14, 2004, 5:44 PM