Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

YahooSubCats na GL 3

Quote Reply
YahooSubCats na GL 3
I'm interested, do you use YahooSubCats on your demo page for luna templates?

A didn't notice any <font size> tag in your homepage which is specific for YahooSubCats plugin.

However, what I want to report is maybe some bug.

I use YahooSubCats and if I put for some subcategory that main category is related to it, then I got name of that category with sign @ (which is normal), but below name there is SUB1 displayed.

Any ideas?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
Hi,

I think you are confusing two plugins, or rather the plugins and the related category style.

Back in the 1.x days, a plugin was released that allowed for the yahoo style SUBCATS (not related cats). That printed smaller text categories under the main category, and either limited it to a certain number of characters, or printed them all.

In a slightly later relase, the "yahoo style related" categories were added to Links, and you could turn them on or off in the admin via a config option.

The SUB1 is the flag that told the plugin for the SUBCATS to limit the number of characters to a certain number. You shouldn't see that, as it should be replaced by the subcategory string.

Did you uninstall/install the Yahoo Subcats plugin to make sure it was working?

I have it working on my upgraded sites, and didn't have a problem.

http://heartsonfire.org/firedup/

Shows the Yahoo Subcats plugin (modified as I posted in the forum awhile back), running in SUB0 mode (listing all the subcats). My modification was to list them one per line.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
Yes, I know all that.

I guess you didn't understand me.
If I put for one category that is related to second category, and if that first category has SUB1 (which work fine on front page) then when I use yahoo-like related style, I got SUB1 below name of category.
-------------------
Category1
subcat1, subcat2, subcat3
Category2
subcat4, subcat5, subcat6

and if I put then for subcat1 that Category2 is related to it, then when I click subcat1 I got displayed @Category2 with SUB1 below it.
I got this:
@Category2
SUB1

Until GL 3.0 below @Category2 there was subcat4, subcat5, subcat6
I had this:
@Category2
subcat4, subcat5, subcat6
-------

Does this make any sense?

Regards.

P.S. I uninstall/install Yahoo plugin and will still same effect. Now on my page, categories are display in one column, not two! Hm...

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
A couple of things are probably going on here. I don't use related categories much, so I don't get/see the bugs there.

The "hook" for processing the Yahoo subcats is probably different in g3 and in related cats.

I've always felt it should just be a simple function call, rather than a hook.

Might be better to send the category_loop and related_loop variables into a function, that replaces them.

I need to think about this, unless someone has a quicker answer how to send the related cats into the existing routines.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fheartsonfire.org%2Ffiredup%2F

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
On Gossamer Threads official demo page (http://demo.gossamer-threads.com/linkssql/) is there some sort of plugin for displaying subcategories under main category or is it just simple description field filled with links to subcategories?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
It's actually a small bug in the code, that as a side effect is causing the YahooSubcats plugin to still work on home.html. The YahooSubcats plugin needs to be modified to work correctly with Gossamer Links 3.0 because the print_cat plugin hook isn't used anymore (unless you use the old templates). We will be releasing 3.0.1 and creating a new version of the YahooSubcats plugin soon.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
Ok. Cool. Thanks.

Until that, I'll just use description field for subcategories.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
It's probably easier to use the plugin as a function call from the templates.

I've actually meant to do that, (and hacked it on one site), specificially to bypass the print_cat routine.

So the print_cat code is only backwards compatible .... that is why it looked so "odd". When you go through the code, is it possible if you notice something is now only backwards compatible, to flag it? It's not a big thing, but sometimes it would help to realize this was changed in the luna set.

This also explained, why it still worked in all my upgraded sites -- they are using the old template set, or custom sets, not Luna.

If you are going to rewrite the plugin, please add the option to put one (sorted/random) category per line, and to limit the categories to the first n / or all.

I find it much more useful, and gives the search engines a bigger "grip" on the main page if you list the 1st level categories.

And, if you are *really* going to rewrite it <G> maybe allow it to display subcategories to depth-n, so that an index page could be put on the site, more like a "tree" with all the categories.

Now, for large sites, this could be a real problem, but most sites have a more finite number of categories, and such an index would be *great*.

If it could be cached, so that the tree is only generated if changed, or once per-x-hours or day, it would be great too.

I had modified yahoo subcats to do this, and had a "tree" program that displayed 2 levels of subcats as a side bar.

But this is a perfect rewrite for this plugin. :) :)

Please leave a PM here.

Last edited by:

pugdog: Apr 13, 2005, 7:23 PM
Quote Reply
A new version of the YahooSubcats plugin (2.0.0) has been uploaded. Be sure you don't download the older 1.2 that's meant for Links SQL 2.x.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Doesn't work for me. It just gives SUB0/SUB1 -Glinks3.0.0
Same when tried with the previous version was displaying the subcats.
This is just a feedback ... as i am not using the same in regular run.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
The hook that the plugin now uses is only available in 3.0.1. If you're using 3.0.0, you'll have to upgrade to 3.0.1.

Adrian
Quote Reply
It does work with 3.01, just installed it.
Quote Reply
OK i would upgrade sometime in a day or two. But just a suggestion:

Say a root category has got 10 subcategories and it could be that only than 4 or 5 are populated with data (with all possibility that inital 4 or 5 are with no data). It would make this plugin really useful from what Pugdog had mentioned that the priority /ordering of the subcats listed on home page are most populated categories (if there are ones), DESC so that at least the Non Populated Categories just do no get listed on home page (ie if there are few sub-cats with data) and it's only sub-categories with content that are being displayed. This could also not irritate a user who just could be clicking on empty subcategories.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
My empty categories in GLinks 3 are hidden by using <%if Number_of_Links '>' '0'%> to display those that are populated.

Presumably the sort order could be changed to by using Number_of_Links in build_category_sort?

Not sure if this would also work in the YahooSubCats plugin because I don't use it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
I d/led the new plugin, and I get this error:

Unable to load plugin 'YahooSubcats': No Install.pm file found in tar!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] YahooSubCats na GL 3 In reply to
I d/led to my other links install, and it worked ok. So I moved the working plugin to the other install and all is fine.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I would want that the color of the links (Yahoo Subcat Plugin) be different from the parent category. How can that be changed?

[edit]
nm i got it

#home dd a {
color: #xxxxxx;
}

[/edit]

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 23, 2005, 2:08 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Brewt,

I also have the Yahoo-Subcats-Plugin on my homepage (still G-Links 2.x version).

It would be great if the new Yahoo-Subcats-plugin would also have the following features:

- I would like to be able to sort all my sub-categories by Alphabet (A, B, C,.....) or sort them just how I like them to be sorted
- I would like to be able to choose whether to have the sub-categories listed below each other or in line separated with a comma
- If sub-categories are listed below each other, I would like to have a bold dot or an image in front of each sub-category
- If sub-categories are listed in line next to each other, I would like to be able chosse if they are separated with a comma or if there is no comma and just some spacers in beetween
- I would like to be able to chosse the font (CSS ?)

I´m not a programmer or Perl expert, so it would be nice if these features could be selected within admin with a click on my mouse.

Many thanks

Last edited by:

erichcyber: Apr 24, 2005, 4:36 PM
Quote Reply
A much needed feature (particularly if there are cases that Description) is already filled up by admin before and later decides to use the plugin.

• SUB0/SUB1 should be defineable in the edit properties of the Plugin
  • Installing the plugin automatically overrides what's there in Description already.
The above would make toggling to No Plugin/Plugin so very easy.
Just my thoughts ...

Thanks
HyTC