Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

search problems

Quote Reply
search problems
I have Links SQL 2.1.1. After the intall, search.cgi does not work the way it should be.

Problem 1: I only want to search title and description fields. So I went to admin panel-database-links-properties and changed search weights to 0 in url field. Title is 3 and description is 1. Then I did a rebuilt search, which is supposed to index the database? When I search "Must contain all words", still it will search url field and return me unwanted hits. What should I do?

Problem 2: "Exact words" don't give me exact words. It does pick up words from middle of another word. For instance, I searched "journal of aba banking" and microfilm will be there because "of" in the middle of the word.

I noticed in Admin-panel-database-links-property, index scheme is "non-indexed". Other choices include "mysql", "internal", "mssql", etc. Is "Nonindexed" right choice for me?

Without fixing those, I cannot put it into producation. Someone must know it. Help! Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] search problems In reply to
Also who can tell me something about indexing schemes:

What is internal, mysql, mssql, and non-indexed? What should be the correct scheme in LInks?

I tried to choose mysql indexing scheme, but got an error "database is too big to do it on the web..." So I did an internal indexing scheme and rebuilt my index. I did another search and hits are improved singnificantly. My problem may be fixed. Still I don't understand what is going on here. Any help will be appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] search problems In reply to
You can find a lot more information about searches in the manual - I think from memory it is on page 6. This should explain a lot - the indexing doesn't work if you choose 'nonindexed' which is why it was returning results which you did not want. All the schemes seem to have pros and cons so you just have to decide which is the best for you.

Laura.
The UK High Street