Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Deleting Links

Quote Reply
Deleting Links
Hi,

I am trying to clean up our database of links. I have the link verifier running continuously in the background so our link status lists are always being updated. Due to the fact we have only just started doing the checking on a 4 million link database we are getting thousands of broken links.

Is there any way to show more than 25 links at a time to delete? This is making the task of deleting bad links very very difficult. I would like to be able to see, say 100-200 links per page if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kev

-------
BN23.com - LinksSQL powered search and directory.
5.2 Million Links, 685,000 Categories
Quote Reply
Re: [b0rdslide] Deleting Links In reply to
Just write a script to do it. I wrote one, and it deleted over 50000 bad links in about an hour (gives you a running report of them too).

I would offer this script to you, but after previous work was unpaid by your site, I'm not exactly in a position to do so (may not have been you, but it was definatly your site)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Deleting Links In reply to
Hi Andy,

I will be writing a script to do it in the future, but it will use a more complex selection algorithm than just deleting all links with a certain status.

Until I get around to doing this I would simply like to be able to see more than just 25 links per page. Perl is not my language of choice but I can adapt to pretty much any language on a basic level. Even if you point me to a relevent place in the code that would be very useful.

Thanks,
Kev

-------
BN23.com - LinksSQL powered search and directory.
5.2 Million Links, 685,000 Categories
Quote Reply
>>>I will be writing a script to do it in the future, but it will use a more complex selection algorithm than just deleting all links with a certain status. <<<

Mine does ... I was just putting it simply Wink

I'm afraid I can't offer any more help.. as I got *mega* stung by your company...Mad

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Until I get around to doing this I would simply like to be able to see more than just 25 links per page. Perl is not my language of choice but I can adapt to pretty much any language on a basic level. Even if you point me to a relevent place in the code that would be very useful.
I too need this. I bought links sql thinking it was high end, for large directories, as opposed to links, which is for small ones. I cannot for the life of me understand why, if it were designed for large directories, you would have to be limited by only 25 entries per page on the link status page when trying to delete bad links... Is this a low end script or a high end? Why does a bug fix, (and be honest, this IS a bug) have to cost money to fix? Haven't I already PAID for this software once already? Think about it. You have 100K links. 1K are bad. Normal stuff right? Let's see, at 25 links a page thats 25 / 1000 = 40. So I have to surf 40 pages clicking the Check all 40 times. and the delete key, 80 clicks now, oh and the back button thats 120 (that's if I only had 1000 bad links, 10,000 would be 1200 clicks). Simply because your "high end" directory script has a "low end" interface for removing bad links... When exactly, does the fishing for extra money end? How about a straight answer to a truly common problem? Please... Not trying to be rude here, just a bit frustrated... If anyone has a solution to this PLEASE post it or email me. Thanks Mike
Quote Reply
Re: [Palehorse777] Deleting Links In reply to

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but when you search for links to delete there is an option at the bottom of the page that says Maximum Hits that defaults to 25. You can just set that to 100 or 200 or whatever, and it will display that many per page.

-Frank

Last edited by:

FrankM: Feb 3, 2004, 1:42 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] Deleting Links In reply to
In Reply To:

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but when you search for links to delete there is an option at the bottom of the page that says Maximum Hits that defaults to 25. You can just set that to 100 or 200 or whatever, and it will display that many per page.

-Frank

Maybe on your page, not on mine I guarentee you that.
Quote Reply
Re: [Palehorse777] Deleting Links In reply to
Sorry, I was referring to the main Links > Delete page. If you want to have it display more on the Link Status page, you need to modify:

admin/Links/Tools.pm

Find the section:

sub view_status

In that part there is the following:

my $cond = new GT::SQL::Condition;
$cond->add ("Status", "IN", \"($status)");
my $mh = $IN->param('mh') || 25;

Just change the 25 to whatever number you want.

--Frank
Quote Reply
Or, if you look at that code; you can pass mh along to the URL... i.e;

http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/links/admin.cgi?do=page&page=tools_view_status.html&status=0&mh=50

Note that part in red Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, I was referring to the main Links > Delete page. If you want to have it display more on the Link Status page, you need to modify:

admin/Links/Tools.pm

Find the section:

sub view_status

In that part there is the following:

my $cond = new GT::SQL::Condition;
$cond->add ("Status", "IN", \"($status)");
my $mh = $IN->param('mh') || 25;

Just change the 25 to whatever number you want.

--Frank

I am trying to delete a lot of links at once and I did a search and found this old thread. Doing the above will display the number that you enter in the code on the link status page (ie when you click on the different error codes), but when you click on "delete all links" you still get a page of 25. Adding "&mh=100" to the delete link url gets the job done, but I'm trying to find a way to change the code as some people that are using the script will have problems doing it that way.

Any ideas?

Thanks