Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Installation Instructions

Quote Reply
Installation Instructions
I've got Links SQL 2.1.0. --- IndyLinks.com

I'm moving servers again. Thought I'd try to install myself - at least give it one go.

Had GT install the last time, so I don't have the "readme" or "install instructions". Are they posted somewhere?

I might be able to dig them out from an old computer . . . but thought I'd ask first.

Probably end up asking GT to install for me again . . .

Thanks, April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
Re: [aprillougheed] Installation Instructions In reply to
Hi,

The install instructions inside the README file insite the .tar download. You may want to check the manual as well..

When I was first starting out I had some trouble preserving my files uploads when making the switch to a new server. Alex sent me these instructions on how to do it right. These instructs worked for me...

1. Install Links SQL on the new server.
2. Copy over your defs/*.* from the old server to the new one. You may need to
edit database.def to change the login information.
3. Goto MySQLMan and do SQL Dump and make sure "Add Drop Table" is selected.
Copy the generated file to the new server and goto MySQLMan and SQL Monitor and
load the file.
4. Copy over the attachment directory to the new server so all your file
uploads are presevered.

That will preserve your custom form info, and all your file uploads.

Hope that helps! Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Jonze] Installation Instructions In reply to
Jonze - Thanks for your thorough answer.

I'll see if I can find the original tar file. I think it is still on an old computer somewhere.

Thought GT might have the instructions posted somewhere.

Thanks again, April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
No Problem.

I would suggest just going to the download area and getting the latest version... 2.1.2

You can also grab the latest manual if you don't already have it.

Also you may want to create a backup from Database> Import/Export just for good measure but I'd still restore from the SQL DUMP.

Later!
Quote Reply
Is it really worth doing a complete re-install, rather than just copying over the old files, and then just editing the paths to match the new ones for your server? I would have thought you would waste more time installing and re-customizing all your stuff, than doing the method i suggested.

Just an idea Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Jonze] Installation Instructions In reply to
Don't forget to copy the Plugins and Templates directories as well.

Depending on how your system is set up, you'll most likely need to set them and the defs directories to 777 to allow the server access to them.

It's a more complicated process than on the surface it seems.

I'd suggest:

First, upgrade links to 2.12 on your own server, to make sure all the tables, fields, etc are updated properly.

1) Back up your old server fully--- all links directories, cgi-bin, public, etc.

2) Do your database dump, to dump *everything* (that can be reimported without a problem into a new MySQL setup).

3) install links 2.12 on your new server, following the install directions.

4) run the links setup/install code, either on start up or from the admin (without doing *anything* else!). You want to set this system up, so you can use MySQLman and FileMan from inside links, but nothing else -yet.

5) You should now have a working == but empty == copy of links.

6) use mysqlman to re-import your old database. It's 2.12 ready, with all your customizations. The "add drop table" command will drop all the "empty" tables and replace them with your own, rather than filling up the empty tables which might not match yours. Using MySQLman will *ignore* anything that is Links SQL specific, and not attempt to read or run any Links files.

7) Now, you want to update the defs directory. You can use Fileman and use your own defs, or you may be able to go back into setup, and recreate the tables *but* check the "don't overwrite" feature. Links should do a quick house check, and recreate all the def files. If you upload your old def files *DO NOT* upload database.def. That should have your new sever data on it. Make sure the def files are owned by the server user, or are set to 777

8) Then, you can use fileman to upload your old Plugins directories (all subdirectories too), and your old templates directories. Also,any other directories you need that are in your cgi-bin area. They need to owned by the server user (directories too) or set to 777

The reason for this is to preserve file permissions.

If you have root access, a dedicated server, and know what you are doing, you could probably bypass this, but you might end up trying to swat permissions problems for awhile.

In the public tree -- images and such -- permissions are not as important, as read acess is usually enough (except during an upgrde) and setting things to 777 is not as dangerous (as long as you have proper security precautions in place).

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
The way I would do it, would be:

1. Backup your web directory (html and cgi-bin), by running "tar -cpszf /wwwbackup.tar.gz /yourwwwpath"

2. Backup your database by running "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASENAME > /dbbackup.sql"

3. Copy your www backup to your new server and run "tar -xspvzf wwwbackup.tar.gz" to restore your files, paths, and their permissions

4. Create a blank database of the same name as your old one on the new server

5. Restore your database by running "mysql -pPASSWORD DATABASENAME < dbbackup.sql"

6. Go to your admin console and update your SQL settings to point to the new database. If you put your web files in the same path structure, they should be fine.

7. You may then run the 2.1.2 update if desired. It appears GT has corrected the issue where the upgrade would not keep your existing permissions. When asking Alex about this a while back, he said they would fix it in the next version. It seems they have, because the upgrade to 2.1.2 didn't change any of my permissions.

Anyway, there are many ways to go about moving your install and upgrading. This is just the way I have chosen to do it in the past. I think you just need to pick the method you feel most comfortable with, and go with it. Good luck. Wink

Sean