Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Problem sending mail

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Problem sending mail
Hi

Recently I moved to new server and now I got mailing problem. For many domain names I got this error "unrouteable mail domain some_domain.com".

I know that this is some problem with server but I noticed that in mails that is send through LSQL script FROM field is set like:

For some other script I test sending by setting this FROM header like this
and
REPLY-TO: myemail
(no quotes and added extra field REPLY-TO)

With this, everything works fine!

Is is possible that I set something like this to emails that are send by LSQL? Maybe this will work out.

Thanks.
Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] Problem sending mail In reply to
Hi,

I don't think that's the issue. Try creating a text file sample.eml that contains:

Code:
To: someuser@example.com
Subject: test

test

and then try running:

sendmail -t < /path/to/file

and see if it sends the email ok. You can play around with the from formatting to see if it makes a difference, but sendmail/qmail/postfix won't care.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Problem sending mail In reply to
This won't work on my server. I got response from sendmail.
Code:
Exim is a Mail Transfer Agent. It is normally called by Mail User Agents,
not directly from a shell command line. Options and/or arguments control
what it does when called. For a list of options, see the Exim documentation.
Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Hi,

Looks like you are on a cPanel installation (Exim is cPanel's default choice).
Even i had a similar thing. Check if the domains that are failing are listed in /etc/localdomains but still not on your new server and also check the /etc/valiases

I believe it's more to do with Server Setup. Beyond this you could contact Support of your service provider...

try /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -v
if that's the path to sendmail wrapper alongwith what has been suggested earlier in thread.

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Problem sending mail In reply to
Hi

Thanks. Yes it is cPanel installation.
This option -t -v worked fine!

However I test script above (for sending email) and that is working.
I send mail to my service provider but they also tested sending mail by this method and said that sendmail is working fine. However, when I try to send newsletter, I got message stated earlier.
So don't really know what to do...

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Hi.

Just tried Newsletter option and i have the following error:

Sending emails ...

A fatal error has occured:

Could not reestablish connection at GT::Mail::BulkMail::_smtp_send line 818.

The logfile says:
GT::Mail::BulkMail Error: Fatal: Could not reestablish connection at GT::Mail::BulkMail::_cause_error line 153.
[Thu May 20 01:34:17 2004] [error] Could not reestablish connection at GT::Mail::BulkMail::_smtp_send line 818.

The email setup is set with sendmail option and not smtp. The emails are however sent whenever the links are validated or modifications validated.
Not sure what's wrong.....
Possibly needs GT comments.

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: May 19, 2004, 1:13 PM
Quote Reply
And When I go to cancel Mailing this is what i get on the page where the action is to be confirmed/aborted:

Mailing ID: 2

To:
1 recipients
Subject: Test Mail
Message (format: Unknown Tag: 'messageformat'):

Anup
Quote Reply
I kept playing.... Just check if the following works on your setup:

in Admin:

Setup>Email Options

db_mail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -v

If thats the path to your sendmail wrapper.
Try sending Newsletter.

It worked in My case... though I am not sure how that would affect the other automated emailing from Links (Validation/Modification Emails).

Surprisng that the setup takes that in case of Links whereas in case of GM it does not take those swithces....

This is just a "Hit And Trial" type of a run and I am not sure how correct this is..... but it worked wrt Newsletter in my case again cPanel/Exim combination
Anup
Quote Reply
Nope. This still gives me "unrouteable mail domain" error for most of the subscribers.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Could be some problem with the "router" section of your exim.conf file. The only thing that i have in my case with that error is as follows in the conf file:

#!!# This new router is put here to fail all domains that
#!!# were not in local_domains in the Exim 3 configuration.

fail_remote_domains:
driver = redirect
domains = ! +local_domains
allow_fail
data = :fail: unrouteable mail domain "$domain"

This is the section responsible for that error. Nor sure beyond that :/

Anup

Anup
Quote Reply
Thanks. Will try to do something with my server admin.
Main thing that confuses me is that validation mail is send ok, I test mailing list from LSQL (with one email address) and that is also working fine but when I try to send newsletter (to multiple addresses) I got this error for most of the emails.
Maybe sendmail won't send emails to many addresses as it thinks that this is SPAM or something. Really don't know. This is just my guess.
Thanks anyway.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Yep that confuses me to. Newletter gives the "Other" error in my case where it seems that smtp_sub is being run despite sendmail being set. Before contacting Server Admin i think wait for a reply from GT. Even im confused as to why this error comes up in case of Newsletter (common case .. EXIM), when other mailings work fine....

I tried the GF recover password and even there the mails go fine in the GF trial copy that i am evaluating....

Thnx
Anup
Quote Reply
If Newsletter Works by using that -t -v, then the Validation emails fail. So with Validation emails brought back to normal, NEWSLETTER In My Case Is Also _Not_ functional irrespective of whether it's single or multiple user.

I get that error which shows that smpt_sub is being used (which in any case will never function due to pop before smtp setup) though in setup it is sendmail which is configured....

Hope a solution is there from GT

Anup
Quote Reply
Today I got email from my service provider that I can try use SMTP server but it request authorization process so I need to set username and password and I didn't find any field in LSQL to set this up.

Is there any chance to do that?
Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Hi.

Using SMTP would need POP before SMTP.
That would mean that there has to be a POP login by the account that is going to send the Outgoing Mail using SMTP (at least within 30 minutes band ... if it's a default setup) , otherwise you would error like ... "Not allowed to relay or you have not logged in in past 30 minutes"

"sendmail and Newsletter" I am afraid, it doesn't work in my case also....
i am not clear as to why Newsletter Mailing in my case is having an error related to SMTP when the setting is sendmail.

waiting for a response on the issue...

Anup
Quote Reply
I guess this still isn't solved?
Any reply from GT?
Any chance to use SMTP but with providing username and password?

Thanks.
Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Still unresolved at least the way cpanel servers are set.
Newsletter not working in my case too, unfortunately.
GT's response to this awaited

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 2, 2004, 9:26 AM
Quote Reply
Hi.

Y'day GT had a look at my case.
For the time being as per their suggestion i got the things working by opting for local SMTP instead of sendmail.....

You could try and see if it works.
set in your SMTP option (Admin/Setup) of Links SQL the hostname

xxx.domain.com for example, where xxx is the hostname

If you are on your own box probably you could try reruning /scripts/exim to see if that unrouteable domain issue is fixed....

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi

Thanks for reply. I can use SMTP server but I need to send my username and password for verification. Without that, my SMTP won't send mail.
So my problem is, how to send username and password through LINKS SQL?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Any solution? How did GT support solved this on your case?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
I will see if we can get POP authentication before login added into the next version (perhaps post a patch), but for now you will have to use sendmail.

What domains exactly are you having this problem with? Googling that error brings up people having problems with DNS or the domain not being set up properly.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Problem sending mail In reply to
When sending mail to many domain names...Only mail sent to my domain is getting through, all other I got unroutable domain name errors. I must say, I only got this when sending newsletter. When sending validation mail for users, everything works fine. I guess there is some problem when sending mail to multiple users or something.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Any luck with this patch?
Well, still didn't solved this problem so my users still don't get their newsletter with new links added to database.

Thanks.
Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
I had added pop before smtp and AUTH support to GT::Mail, but there's quite a few changes required to be made to Links SQL (and any product for that matter) to make it support it, so I don't think this will be released in patch form. So unfortunately, you'll have to wait for the next release for this functionality.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Oh...OK. What else can I do. Unsure

UnReal Network
> >