Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
chmod?
Does anyone have a list of what should be chmod and at what? I need to double-check to make sure everything is correct but I don't know what should be what.
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] chmod? In reply to
What's happening is that I am attempting to re-install some pluings and it's saying I don't have permissions to do so. (My Links SQL was just moved from a Cobalt server to a new non-Cobalt server...it worked finr before)
Quote Reply
What is the error message you get?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] chmod? In reply to
Here it is:

Unable to install plugin: 'Unable to extract file: '/home/rayhne/public_html/cgi-bin/fanficdir/admin/../emrewards.cgi' (Could not open /home/rayhne/public_html/cgi-bin/fanficdir/admin/../emrewards.cgi. Reason: (Permission denied))'
Quote Reply
That just means your fanficdir directory is not writable, which it shouldn't be anyway.

Chmod it to 777 to install the plugin then change it back to 755.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 5, 2002, 7:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] chmod? In reply to
Did that, got same error:

Unable to install plugin: 'Unable to extract file: '/home/rayhne/public_html/cgi-bin/fanficdir/admin/../emrewards.cgi' (Could not open /home/rayhne/public_html/cgi-bin/fanficdir/admin/../emrewards.cgi. Reason: (Permission denied))'
Quote Reply
Try doing the same with your cgi-bin
Quote Reply
Still no go. I chmod cgi-bin, fanficdir, and admin all to 777 and still get the same error.
Quote Reply
If I try to add the User Moniter plugin, I get this error:

Error running installation code: Could not open /home/rayhne/public_html/cgi-bin/fanficdir/admin/templates/default/um_about.html. Reason: (Permission denied) at (eval 4) line 340.
Quote Reply
The basic rule is all template directories are 777 with the templates at 666. All cgi scripts are 755 and all pm files are 644 except ConfigData.pm which is 666.
Quote Reply
I'm not a unix expert but could it be that you need to use chown instead of chmod? Sometimes I find that this is the problem on my site.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] chmod? In reply to
I've double-checked the chmod and they all look correct but still no go.
Quote Reply
Which is why I suggested chown instead. I would use

chown -R admin *

in the cgi-bin - as I said, I'm not an expert.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] chmod? In reply to
Of course replacing admin with the correct username :)

And you won't be able to do it unless you have root access.
Quote Reply
I discovered that the reaspon the install wasn't working is because the uninstall hadn't cleared out all the files like it should I deleted those and the installs worked. :)
Quote Reply
I did say that's what I would use Tongue. I knew you'd be around somewhere to correct my mistakes!