Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Who's online - graphic possible?

Quote Reply
Who's online - graphic possible?
Hi, I'm a very new Links person. I have a friend who thankfully knows what they are doing and is helping me out massively. However she's not around tonight and I'm trying to work out if it's possible to get Links Sql to check if the owner of a link is online when someone is visiting the site.

Basically my site is a dating site and I would like to add an ONLINE or OFFLINE graphic next to each person's profile so anyone viewing knows whether to send a private message or not.

Speaking of which, has anyone developed a plug in or worked out how to allow users to send private messages to each other in the way you can on Forums?

Any help or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

many thanks
Sally

Last edited by:

salblack: Dec 17, 2003, 12:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [salblack] Who's online - graphic possible? In reply to
Yes, you could check to see if a user was On-line by writing a global to check the sessions data to see who is logged in. This data is not terribly accurate, as the user could have checked in, and gone, 14.5 minutes ago in the default configuration.

Parts of this hack have been posted in the past.

As for the other stuff, I know a bunch of things are in the works, but nothign has been officially released or announced yet by anyone.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [salblack] Who's online - graphic possible? In reply to
Hi,

I have a half-finished plugin for private messages. I'll try to get it finished but I'm not sure how long it will take.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Who's online - graphic possible? In reply to
Hi Laura

Hows this plugin looking ? any progress or still sunbaking in Australia ?
Cool

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Who's online - graphic possible? In reply to
Your private message plugin would be fantastic.

I'd buy it!
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] Who's online - graphic possible? In reply to
Oh dear - it's always a mistake promising a plugin in the future! I became very sidetracked by installing Gossamer Community and Forum on my site and ended up using the private messaging in Forum instead of my plugin so my motivation to finish it diminished somewhat.

The plugin is basically all there I think but there is still quite a lot of editing to be done on the templates to get them working together (as far as I can remember). I'll really try to have another look at it in the next few days.

Laura.
The UK High Street