Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Editor validating links probs

Quote Reply
Editor validating links probs
I gave an editor access to one category to add some links and only granted access to add links only. The links are being validated without my approval. Why is this happening.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Re: [adultdvdlinks] Editor validating links probs In reply to
Go to build_options and check to see if your build_auto_validate is All links are automatically validated (not recommended).
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] Editor validating links probs In reply to
It's set at Admin/Editors approves all links (recommended)

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Editor validating links probs In reply to
I logged in under the editor and all he can do is add a link in a certain category that is all. I added a link from there and that went fine, but it never asked to be validated.

His user info has him as just registered. The only thing I can think of is that I installed that editor plugin just yesterday, but i've never had editors without the plugin so not sure. I could un-install the plugin and see what happens.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Oh, if you are using the editor monitor, you should say so and ask for help there.

I don't know how that program works, and what it does, though I am still trying to get rid of an earlier version from one or two of my sites.

But, at least you know it's not something in links.

BTW... is the link really showing up as validated, or are you just seeing it? Did you check the database record and see if isValidated=Yes.

I know one of my search plugins had a problem with not checking that, so on searches unvalidated links could show up, but I posted a fix awhile back.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I checked one of the links he added and it is validated and they are showing up in the regular listings.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
Ok,

The only thing I can suggest at this point, add a link as a "new" user, and see what happens. If the link is auto-validated, then your configuration is not correct.

But, if you are using the Editor Monitor, flag down Ian and ask him.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Thanks for you help. Here is something I just noticed. When I add a new link from the editor's account the field "is validated" is set to YES when I'm filling out the form. I guess I can tell him to change this when he adds new links.

The is validated field in the links properties was set at YES by default. I should be able to change this to No and that should fix it right.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective

Last edited by:

adultdvdlinks: Jan 30, 2003, 11:29 AM
Quote Reply
Ah....

That's interesting. I wonder if that is a bug in Links. It's a subtle thing.

If you turn off the ability for an editor to approve links, their own additions should also suffer the same fate ;)

Actually, I had thought the default behaviour was to have only the Admin set to isValidated=Yes, and everyone else, including editors set to "No", but I have never used that feature too extensively, although I'm starting to on a number of my sites.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Maybe a staff member can make a comment on this possible bug.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
I have the same problem - all new links added by an editor is automatially validated - however in the Setup it does say:

Admin/Editors approves all links

So I guess if you assing someone to be an editor then a new link is validated by default...

Does anyone have a way around this? Preferably if an editor did not have the right to Validate then new links submitted should require Admin for validation - or an Editor with Validation access..

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Editor validating links probs In reply to
This doesn't give us many options with the editor. I want to be able to look at the links he adds and sign up for any affiliate programs associated with the link if any before the public sees it.

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
Quote Reply
I agree.

The problem is that GT is using the same routines for the Admin area in the Editors area, and perhaps, at the expense of a bit of code, it should be separate routines, just for that purpose.

You might be able to edit the routine that updates the database, to check to see:

if ($user_status eq 'Editor') { isValidated = 'No' }

(pseudo code, not real code)

Add this right before the hash is sent to the add/update-> functions.

It would have to be a bit more complex than that, to handle the "modify" case.

Please leave a PM here.