Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Server issues

Quote Reply
Server issues
My ISP insists that their server is suddenly unable to run Links SQL and a few other scripts that I have installed because they are too server intensive. I run LinksSQL, Adcycle, Gossamer Forum, a Top Sites script, a formmail processor and a couple of Andys plug ins, thats all! This despite the fact that they've already been running for a year and this is a dedicated server, not a shared hosting plan. Never ever use 1&1 for hosting, they are the most inept bunch of cowboys that I have come across in 9 years of putting sites on the web.

So, I have ordered a nice shiny new U.S. based server instead and need to move the whole shooting match over as soon as it is set up. Trouble is I cannot access the Links SQL admin area over the internet nor anything else that is cgi related (it won't run adcycle nor will clicking any links work - ("cgi limits reached please try again later!").

Can I restore Links on the new server using just the latest backup that Links did on the last build? Or do I need to do a fresh database dump (last one was a month ago). How would I do a database dump without being able to access the admin features? I have SSH access but have never used it apart from to run nph build and verify so I have no clue what commands to use.

I have used Links SQL for many years now and on the very rare occasions I have had a problem you guys are brilliant at giving me advice so any help as to how I can be up and running on a new server would be appreciated.

Thanks

NB.. if you have any advice could you put it in dummy-speak. I really haven't taken the time to get into the technical side of things :) Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: [Triffid] Server issues In reply to
Hi. Your best bet would be to log in via SSH (I'm assuming they give you access to this?), and type something like;

Quote:
mysqldump --add-drop-table -uSQLUsername -pSQLPassword database_name > database_backup.sql

You obviously need to change over the username/password/database name/etc.

Then, once you have all your databases backed up (you will need to do this a couple of times, if you have several databases).

Now, you need to backup your whole folder... You need to 'cd' into your 'cgi-bin' folder, and HTML folder first, otherwise the whole server will be backed up (so it will die).

Quote:
tar -cvvf backup.tar *

....this will compress all the files, and hold their permissions.

You then need to go into SSH on your new server, and type something like;

Quote:
wget http://www.yoursite.com/backup.tar

This should grab the backup.tar file, with a server-to-server transfer (the fastest method by far, as it cuts out having to download it to your PC first).

Then, you need to decompress it;

Quote:
tar -xof backup.tar

.. and thats pretty much it.

You will need to change paths in the scripts, as they will not match up to the new server. The above should hopefully give you a good enough idea on how to move your site :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Server issues In reply to
Thanks Andy.

I think I might just go with the old database if its that complicated and re-install Links on the new server with my old templates.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Wow, a dedicated server where they limit you on how much processing you can do. Sounds more like a shared server to me.

You can also get your templates off the server relatively easily, let me know if you want instructions on how.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Andy.

I think I might just go with the old database if its that complicated and re-install Links on the new server with my old templates.

Cheers

We do offer a transfer service Wink Its $75US.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!