Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

New Install 500 errors

Quote Reply
New Install 500 errors
I have just installed SQL 2.1.2 onto a new server (moving hosts and upgrading from 2.0.4)

I did it as a new installation and although it seems to work I get a lot of 500 Internal Server errors with Admin functions eg when I click on Import/Export, Rebuild Tables. Strange things happen aswell.. when I add a link and click on 'Build All' I get a 500 error but it still builds the pages.

Also can anyone give me a dummy proof guide to moving my database, plug ins and templates from the old server to the new. And I really do mean dummy proof Smile

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: [Triffid] New Install 500 errors In reply to
Unfortunatly its not as simple. Did you change all the paths to the admin folder in all the.cgi and some of the .pm files?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New Install 500 errors In reply to
Hi Andy.. all I've done is a clean new installation on a new server using the paths that install.cgi provided. Is it these paths that are wrong then? If so why would some Admin functions work and not others? Thanks
Quote Reply
I'm not sure. Could you look in your error logs, and see if anything important shows up there?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New Install 500 errors In reply to
well I don't see anything in the log files about an error but then I have to admit I don't really know how to read them.

I might just try another install. Might have known it wouldn't be simple
Quote Reply
Hi,

Is this on Unix?

If so, you may need to set some permissions on the directories.

After using the install program, if installed via telnet, rather than the web, I need to change the permissions of the defs, templates, and plugins directories to 777 all the way down the line. ( chmod -R 777 ). 500 errors are script errors, but sometimes that has been caused by failed permissions.

If that doesn't work, double check the paths in your admin, and make sure they are really what you need for the program to run.

Some servers use "virtual" path techniques, so that the webserver "sees" the directory layout differently than the telnet or ftp user does.

In that case, the *only* real way to make it work is to uninstall your links, and reinstall via the web interface. You might need your host to change some permimssions for you after you do that, so you can edit the files via telnet (unless they have already taken that into account in setting up your server/account system).

good luck :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] New Install 500 errors In reply to
I installed it via the web so the permissions should be okay? I have SSH access, not Telnet - same thing? Must admit I've never particularly used it. I used Telnet to build pages, verify links etc on the previous server - I don't know if the SSH commands are the same? Pardon my ignorance.

I will see if I can verify the paths that install.cgi filled in. Thanks
Quote Reply
well, I give up on this one. I re-installed Links through the web interface and now not only do I get the same problem but the script continuously asks me for my password. I still get 500 errors when I try to run admin features such as nph-import.cgi

Had enough now having spent nearly all day on it Mad
Quote Reply
Just in case anyone does a search for the same problem and comes up with this thread I got the answer off support:

go to Setup -> Misc option and change nph_headers to "No"

Dunno what it does but it works!

Quote Reply
Has to do with how your server is configured. Never occured to me.... But I'll add this to my "try this" bag of tricks. Thanks.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] New Install 500 errors In reply to
Ahh thanks!

Worked for me also, gave me the 500 interal server error, cgi access to this directory thing when trying to do the build.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
nph- is "non parsed headers"

Here is a brief summary, and warnings page on nph - http://janus.oit.umass.edu/ltkach/webpro/nph.html

It was a way to allow a script to output to a web browser in chunks, the way the build process prints each block of code it finishes, for example.

Please leave a PM here.